Options

Best place to drill hole for transducer?

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Where would be the best place on a 342 to drill a hole and install a thru hull transducer? I was thinking in the mid-berth area by the bilge pump. Has anyone installed one? Per MT I have extra bits!!

Comments

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Just a plan "B" but I installed one in one of my runabouts without the hole. I sanded an area flat and smooth in the bilge near the transom and glued it in place. I then dropped a piece of PVC pipe over the transducer, threading the cable though it and an end- cap with a hole in. I glued the cap on the pipe and filled it with mineral oil (eliminates air pockets) and then plugged the hole in the top with silicone sealer.  -Paul
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    My 08 320 came with a thru-hull transducer but when I installed my Lowrance equipment, I did the epoxy installation of the new transducer - there is a lot of information on how to do it if you use google. I epoxied mine in 7 years ago and it still works perfectly. Best thing about it was it runs on a different frequency than the OEM transducer (also Lowrance) and I can run both with no interference between the two transducers. This way, I always have a back-up depth indication. I just selected a spot near the generator water intake thru hull, cleaned the area with acetone, used the Lowrance transducer epoxy, glued it in and done. I did place the transducer in a small plastic container filled with water to make sure that the transducer would "shoot through the hull" before I actually epoxied it in.
    I used the Lowrance Epoxy Kit 10698
    Here's a video showing how to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22SzRXa21hg
  • Options
    Yeah I just dont like that idea Frodo but thanks
  • Options
    Its the new type and its for fishfinder and depth
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A through hull transducer is not normally drilled through, it's glued with epoxy to a flat section of the hull inside the boat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    This is what all the pro fishermen do handy. No one drills a hole into their hull. It works better if it's epoxied to the hull becuase then your entire hull becomes a receiver. I've seen a transom mount transducer and a through hull work ... experience with both for many years, and the through hull (glued) outperforms by a long shot if installed properly.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark, do you have a picture of yours? 
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    There are 3 types. Transom mount, thru hull and thru hull mounted inside. I have the thru hull with a high speed fairing. Recommended for boats 30 feet and above. Plus I want accuracy to 1200 feet. I want to see the Titanic on the bottom LOL
  • Options
    Thanks AL, I have to cut the fairing block now on a 20 degree angle. 
  • Options
    I used a transom mount.  My fishing partner has a 33 ft pursuit and has the through hull.  The detail is amazing even at higher speeds. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yes Mark. That's what I want to have. You need the clarity around here.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking for sunken treasure, 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Sand bars, etc.
  • Options
    Handy what do you want to see.  Because you may want to point the transducer forward or backward a bit depending.  But that does introduce angle which gives you a false depth reading (will appear deeper than what it actually is). 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark, will that make a huge difference? The fairing and the transducer will be mashed tight to the hull so I dont think you can get any angle on it. Thanks
  • Options
    With the through hull epoxied in or the transom mount, you can obviously angle forward or back. Most guys angle back so they can catch a glimpse of their tackle to estimate how deep they are (although it isn't accurate).  If you're drilling through, I don't think you'll have that option.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark, I will just buy my fish at the market.
  • Options
    LOL. Not as fun ...

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    kuhnr7kuhnr7 Member Posts: 2
    Handymans342 do you have any photos of what you did. I'm in the cape also, and am looking to update mine to the Raymarine axiom with a through hall mount transducers 
  • Options
    Would be glad to help in any way but the guy who did my gelcoat is gone. 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    @Handymans342 did you drill and install the transducer?  I would love to see pics of the transducer installation if you took them.  I put in a transom mounted one last year as it came with the unit but i keep thinking about a through hull or in hull one. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    On my 342 its in the mid berth bilge area but this is a bad spot because it won't work at top speed and I forgot to look at it at cruising speed. Will try this weekend
  • Options
    Even my transom mounted transducer wont work over 22-24 mph.  May not be the location.
  • Options
    The only transducers I've seen work at higher speeds are through hulls, not transom mount.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I believe my thru hull is right at the plane location at top speed
  • Options
    Well that would make sense why it wasn't working.
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Installed a CPT-120 high speed bronze transducer, (I cut the fairing block to an 18° angle), along with the CP-100 downvision.  the hard part was the drilling of a hole in a perfectly good boat bottom  :# 
    My e95 Raymarine mfd has and now I can utilize the  bottom scan and temperature
  • Options
    Where did you install it?
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    @Handymans342 ,  2' from transom wall and approximately 16" from centerline 
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    bry1429 said:
    Installed a CPT-120 high speed bronze transducer, (I cut the fairing block to an 18° angle), along with the CP-100 downvision.  the hard part was the drilling of a hole in a perfectly good boat bottom  :# 
    My e95 Raymarine mfd has and now I can utilize the  bottom scan and temperature
    Love to see some images of the down vision. I have a E97 and just bought the CPT-120. Need some convincing to show me its worth cutting and installing lol