Options

loud airconditioner

have a 2003 342 fiesta vee, problem is the air conditioner is really loud when compressor kicks on and then stays loud whole time compressor is running. it almost sounds like it is pulsing, i checked voltage for surges but everything seems fine. unit was always loud even from new(it is original) but now you can even hear it outside the boat when your on the dock. thinking about trying dense carpet padding under unit, i think its vibrating through the hull. anyone else have any issue like this?

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I have one that is loud also.  What I have found is the condensor vibrates & if you put your hand on it a bit it will stop while your hand is there.  I had thought about placing a piece of hard sytrofome in there, but the thing gets too hot for that.  Luckily it's the back unit where the kids sleep. ;)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is not much vertical clearance on that unit in the 342. I'd open the cover and try holding the drip tray, check the hoses that they are not rubbing, also the screws that hold it in. When it just starts, feel the compressor, if it is 'knocking' it's days are numbered.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    bmineo1bmineo1 Member Posts: 3
    it has always been loud however seems like it got louder. i checked it this past weekend, and i am thinking about putting a high density carpet padding(moisture resistant) under the whole unit. it is screwed down right to the glass and seems like it just vibrates throughout whole boat. unit is working fine and when you do grab and pull on the unit it does seem to not vibrate as much. will keep you posted. thanks for your thoughts

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a tag on some of the compressors (the 12K's for sure) that reads "ATTENTION INSTALLER - do not drag this compressor as the vibration isolators may be damaged" As well, I have heard that these vibration isolators can shift and/or deteriorate causing significant noise and vibration. My friend is experiencing just that and we are going to look under his compressor. I would not alter the compressor compartment environment with sound deadening materials of any kind for fear of causing a fire and negating my insurance.
  • Options
    P.S. If your havc unit is made by Dometic they have a great tech support team. I think the numbers are 1-800-321-9886 or 1-800-544-4881.....Good Luck.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know on my 342, There is not enough vertical room to add anything under the unit and not have it hit the upper cover.  Remember, the unit can get hot..carpet padding does not do well in that, nor with weight/vibration.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    well i went to lowes and bought 1/2" thick hard foam interlocking pads that are for a kids playroom. I put one cut to size under the drip pan and screwed unit back down. Worked!!! took like 90% of noise away. drip pan is rusted pretty bad and base of compressor is rusted as well. there are anti vibration bushings under compressor that may have moved from rust, slamming in rough water, etc. But i think i can get the rest of this year out of unit. anybody know if you can replace drip pan, compressor base (not sure if it is welded to it) any suggestions for a replacement unit 16000-16500 btu? i have a marine air right now. thanks for all your feedback. Have a great and issue free boating season.
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Nice work, bmineo....thanks for the recap!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited June 2013

bmineo, I had the same problem on my last boat (310) that had a 12k unit.  The rust started to cause the freon to leak.  I went with a MarineAirrr unit.  It was extremely quite and had a great fiberglass type drip pan (no rusting).  I would highly recommend it.  Here it is in a 16k unit (just an example, I don't know the seller).  http://www.ebay.com/itm/205561700-Marine-Airrr-VTD16K-115v-16-000-BTU-Air-Conditioner-60-less-start-AMP-/230666408749?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item35b4ca132d&vxp=mtr#ht_6568wt_769

I may have to look into the foam thing for my aft unit. Thanks for the update!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Hey bmineo, Marine Air Units are maufactured by Dometic. I think the following numbers are good: 1-800-321-9896 or 1-800-544-4881. They have a great tech support division. The newer Marine Air units (I have one) have composite (no rust) drip trays. The customer service engineer at Dometic told me they have been using composite trays for a number of years. As well, the newer blowers are far quiter and more efficient. Regarding my friend's HVAC unit. His tray has rotted too and his compressor mounts were shot. There was also rust on his compressor. He's going to get a new or nearly new unit. If you decide to purchase a new/used unit may I offer a word of advice - resist the temptation to upsize too much. Having helped design zoned HVAC for custom homes for 20 years believe me that bigger is not better. An A/C system that is too oversized will have the wrong cycling and will cool in peaks and valleys which won't allow the A/C function to remove the moisture from the air (dampness) so you'll feel clammy all the time - not cool (pun intended). Get the right size (tonnage) for your boat. Good Luck!
  • Options
    P.S. Bmineo there can be a bit of compressor whine with he newer units but that's normal and you don't notice it after a while. It's not a vibration, just a bit of a whine. It may be a fcn on newer, more efficient compressor design.
  • Options
    thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions, safe boating to all