Options

Generator Sea Water Strainer - leaking

NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
Hey everyone!  Can this be fixed with a new rubber gasket or should I just get a new one?  Water is coming up over the lip of the bowl, tried to reset the rubber gaskets...one flat and one round one, not sure which one is which.  No other cracks or breaks in the bowl or the fitting that I can find.  Are there any temp fixes for this issue?  I noticed it at the marina, so I just closed the seacock and off we went, without the use of the genny all day.  Would have been nice to temp fix it enough to use the generator for the day.  BTW: I found some old posts that say the OEM model is a 1", can anyone confirm this for the Kohler 5E?  I forgot to take a picture yesterday and I forgot the size already, memory is the second thing to go...they say.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Those OEM ones use crummy rubber gaskets, usually square profile and they shrink.  Then they don't seat correctly or deform the edge of the strainer bowl in my experience.  You can certainly get an o-ring to fit, I THINK it was 3/16 dia thru the cross section.  You'll have to go and find the right diameter to fit the bowl.

The hose on the 5e is 3/4" dia.  I upgraded to the Forespar T-150 (Thanks MT!).  Got the adapters to from 1-1/2" on the T-150 to 3/4" and added a ball valve after the strainer too.  I posted pics of the install on here, must have deleted them from my phone. lol

Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I had bought some new gaskets last year for mine.  I had the ole late night 'suck a jellyfish' in the strainer.  Well, I took it off and emptied, forgetting it had the o-ring and that went in the drink as well.  I'll see if I can find the part number.  I ordered two though, ready for next time.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NavyCTRC, your oem strainer is, imo, too feeble. @Black_Diamond is correct. Both of us have the Forespar T-150s. Incredibly strong, reasonably priced, pretty easy to install. Type in Forespar to this forum's search engine. I believe I may have posted some pictures on it. If not I'll see if I saved any. You can order different micron screens from Forespar to meet any water condition.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NavyCTRC below are pictures of a ForesparT-150 installed in-line between the through hull raw water intake and the generator. This could also be used for the HVAC if you wanted but I retained the original there and ordered new seals, bowls and strainers for it. The HVAC strainer is better protected where it is on my former EC 360 that the one on the wall of the engine bay for the generator as there the techs kept stepping on it and cracking it.