Options

265 Fiesta Vee Battery Charger/Isolator/Switch Question

K&S2015K&S2015 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
Hi everyone, I need to see if any other 265 owners out there know how their battery charger, isolator and battery switch connections are set up.  I have been having some battery charging problems with our boat and I am looking into it.  I installed a Promariner 1240P Charger Unit, a 180 Amp, 2 Battery Isolator also made by Promariner recently.  But, I found out that no matter what position including the OFF position on the Battery Switch, I am getting power into the boat.  I have spoken with Promariner, our local marina service center and now I am asking you all just to be sure.  After troubleshooting this I found that the charging wire from the back of my alternator is connected to my Guest Battery Switch on the Battery 1 terminal, then a jumper over to my isolator.  This is what is allowing the continuous connection.  I think that my isolator's Alt connection should either be connected directly to the Alternator charge (Red) wire or to the "Feeder" connection on the Battery Switch.  I am betting that when my engine was replaced back at the end of 2013 someone reconnected things incorrectly and I've been having issues ever since, thinking it was batteries, charger, isolator or whatever.  Can anyone tell me how their 265 is wired together in terms of Batteries to the AC Charge with the Battery Switch and the Isolator in the middle.  Appreciate it.  BTW My Guest Battery Switch only has the three terminals in the back of it.  Battery 1, Battery 2 and the Feeder or Common.  I do not have a switch with a separate Alternator

Comments

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    alternator connects to the isolator in, batteries connect to isolator out terminals. chargers connect to isolator out terminals or directly to the batteries (one wire each) the ground from the battery charger goes to the engine block.
    Look up how to wire the switch, there are much better explantions than what I can do. Or take the switch out of the system and make a dedicated house battery and a dedicated start battery
  • Options
    K&S2015K&S2015 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I got it.  Thanks.  Last night I moved the wire over to my "Feeder" connection.  System working now as it should.  I agree though, I think it goes directly from the charge wire to the isolator.  Someone hooked it up wrong.  In fact, after going back to the wiring diagram I saw it now.  Thank you all so much.
  • Options
    barrybarry Member Posts: 5
    I am a new owner of a 2000 fiesta vee 242  that was poorly taken care of before I got it and I'm trying to fix everything.   If possible could someone post a picture of the battery charger and isolater switch.  Thanks and I will apologize in advance I will be asking all kinds of dumb questions
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @K&S2015.....good buy on the ProMariners. They make great equipment. @youstolemybeer. Great advice - accurate and concise!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @barry - no such thing as a dumb question. If you are asking you're already smart. ()% 0f us have asked a LOT of questions....ask away! Good to have you on the forum!