Options

Exhaust Shutter Inspection

PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
Last night I pulled the boot to inspect the shutter. It must be below the water line because water came pouring into the boat. I thought you could inspect the shutters while in the water.

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you need a riser spacer.......... or two....  B)  

if the flaps were in good repair, there should not have been a flood- a trickle beyond doubt, but no huge gushers. 
  • Options
    OH! It's gushing
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Extra weight in the back of course wouldn't help either.  Dinghy?  Trunk or back seat full of stuff?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited July 2016
    wake or tide can certainly assist, too.   but... if those flaps were operating properly, it would be limited...  

a matter of fact, if weight or wake/tide could cause such, I'd still lean toward adding at least a two inch riser spacer on either side... 
  • Options
    maybe I didn't explain myself .... I was at my dock and tried to pull the boot off to inspect the flappers and water is gushing in as if the flappers are below the water line. I thought I checked them a couple years ago while in the water. Can you change the shutters while in the water?
  • Options
    I'm thinking there are exceptions, but isn't the intent of dry joint exhaust to have the top of the y above the waterline?  I thought so, at least. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don't stop learning stuff here- what I can do with the knowledge who knows but I do like to understand. When I have been looking through engine manuals, I did not understand different risers or I guess really spacers, but different boats will have different water lines so the engine mfg. has to make different spacers to keep that relationship between the motor and the water line, correct?
  • Options
  • Options
    but... the riser spacers will have zero impact on whether his Y pipe floods or not... the flaps should control that when the elbow is on them as their ability to flip UP is severely limited, but their ability to flip down is not... the top of Y is generally at the top of the transom plate or close thereabout...

the comment about needing spacers derives from my own thoughts, which is very pro-safety margin... if the waterline is at or above the top of the Y pipes, and the top of the elbow where it slips on the riser isn't at least a good six to eight inches higher than that, and without healthy flappers- it seems to me that a good wake, wave, or tide could easily push water into a resting engine- and where it would lay there in wait for an unsuspecting captain to come along and turn the key- Crunch... hydro lock. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had another boat that overheated, it was suggested not to worry about it- I figure there are no extra parts so I replaced them although I did nor understand at the time exactly what they were for...
  • Options
    I'm having a water flow issue and going down the check list, I'm at the exhaust shutters. I'm getting a lift out on Friday.

Problem: Once on plane for 5-10 mins I'm getting a water flow alarm sending the boat into guardian mode. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you getting increased engine temperatures? I was getting the same thing - but engine temps were normal - it was a faulty sensor. You could also have a kinked water supply hose or a spongy hose that gets drawn tighter with the pull from the impeller.
  • Options
    I replaced my exhaust shutters and they were destroyed. One of the shutters was missing both flappers. The Y pipe is clear and I reached into the drive as far as i could and no flappers. How far down will the flappers be able to travel in the drive??

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can make it all the way down to the transom/gimbal housing.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    With the updated exhaust boots it's open if the drive is raised, but when drives down the flapper could have traveled into the drive. The Y pipe is clear and first couple inches into the drive is clear.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can get your hands on an inspection camera/borescope you will be able to see all the way to the drive. They are very reasonably priced now and a great tool to have.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can rent them for free from Autozone. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI