Options

342 between engine bay, thru hull fitting with strainer?

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
So as i am chasing another gremlin i happen to notice that the thru hull fitting that has a 3 bolt hole flange is not bolted down, and apparently it was sealed to the bottom which has also broken apart and is freely sitting there.  Water is not coming in around it but how close is this boat to sinking?  Shouldn't that be bolted down and sealed???????  Oh my, it never ends..
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to reseal both of mine and that triangular thing had no purpose. Also, it never ends for repairs, trust me. 
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    The triangle flange was not/ does not need bolted down?  I don't feel bolts under it like they broke off but was freaking out thinking this boat was ready to sink

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No the valve threads on to the thru hull fitting with pipe threads. Google it and you will see the design. I do know that thru hulls have broken off before so its good to keep an eye out. FYI, I re did all of mine last time the boat was out. 
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, not bolted, just screwed in. Mine was leaking a bit, unscrewed it, cleaned it, cut some of the triangle corners off so it would screw in deeper. I also used plumbers tape. seemed to have worked as I got no leaks this year.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342