Options

Tundra fridge won't work on shore power

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
This is the original cabin 4 cu ft tundra T42AC fridge that came with my rinker 360. It works well on battery but doesn't on shore power. It use to work and a couple weeks ago we noticed a strong electrical smell and then it no longer worked on shore power. Are there any fuses on the fridge or is the circuit breaker on the main panel the only fail safe? When you open the fridge there is a little fuse by the light but I'm thinking this may only be related to the light, no?

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    There is a converter in the back of the fridge that will switch to 12dc when you shut the 120vac. I replaced mine last year. I got the part on ebay I think for about $70. If I find the pard number I will post it later.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I had the same issue last year. Turned out the 110 came unplugged from behind. Must have been the years of choppy water that shook it loose.

LG
  • Options
    dmeyer502dmeyer502 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I had tghe same problem as Life's Good. 

Doug

2005 342

Boat name:  Crews Control

Formerly Rinker342 on RBO

• Options
    trich11trich11 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I replaced the converter on mine as well. Pain taking out the unit but no problem changing the converter. I think I gave Raybo the part number but all of that info was lost when the RBO went down.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    trich you are correct you did give me the number from ebay. I forgot who gave it to me. It was easy to change....BTW as soon as I can I will see if the part is still on ebay...

Found it          WAECO MPS-35 AC TO DC MULTI VOLTAGE POWER CONVERTER

I paid $64.00 for it...
    Good luck and keep us posted....

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Thx guys. I'll pull it this week and see what's going on. The electric smell was suspect so something must have burned out.
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    That is so funny, that this converter is what they are running.  So, the fridge is 100% 12v.  The converter box is the switching mechanism.  I run the external Waeco coolers for an extra fridge and another one for an ice freezer.  No more melted ice.  I have two converters.  One, I use at the house or at the dock, depending on where I need it to power the second fridge.  The other, I installed on the boat to run the ice freezer on shore power from one of the 110v outlets installed in the cockpit.  I wired it to the house batteries, so it swaps over to 12v when I leave the dock.  The plug is just a dual 12v outlet block (so I can plug in both.)  Works great.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    I got mine on Ebay. It was around $70. I will try to find the link for you but it was on the old site..
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I did get my fridge going again by replacing the controller, I'm not sure that it is running on shore power or not- when I had it on the bench I ran it with a battery I had in my little shop but when I plugged it in and took off the battery leads it would not run. I guess that is pretty convincing it's not. When I first pulled the fridge out when it did not work at all, I opened up what must be the converter as the battery and plug wire run to it. There are two fuses in there, one was burnt which I hoped would be the problem but was not. How do I test the converter? I suppose its not the end of the world as when on shore I usually have the battery charger on...