Options

2003 270FV odor when hot water is turned on.

II have a 2003FV and when I turn on the hot water valve in the sinks it smells horrible! does any one know how to fix this?

Answers

• Options
    welliswellis Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    I would guess this is from water just sitting there w/o flushing or use. Water gets a very rancid odor when it sits.

Had a similar issue on my sailboat in the Bahamas when I filled up w/o and added chlorine.

You need to flush it real good. First I'd fill it with heavily chlorinated water or even white vinegar(this is what I used). Take a ride and let it swish around in the tank, then drain and flush till clean.

Always add chlorine or a fresh water treatment to your water. It's a little extra work, but drain when not used.  

Good luck.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, you need to clean out the tank with a chlorine or vinegar. We add the RV water treatment found at Walmart to our freshwater tank to keep things clean and I empty the tanks if they have not been used in 3 weeks or more. You need to either use the tanks at least weekly or treat and drain every few weeks. If not it will smell horrible at the faucets. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I made the mistake of not flushing my water heater out enough after winterization.  When the pink stuff got hot it stunk like crazy.  I put a quart of bleach into the water tank, took the boat out to "stir" it and flushed out the system.  Took a couple cycles to get the stink out.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flushing the system is key. I use the RV tank treatment as well, but I flush the system with fresh water via the city water hookup each time I go to the boat early in the season. The admiral doesn't like the smell at all.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    that vomit smell!!    I took a chlorine tab and crushed it into a few small pieces and dropped a few down the fill tube.  
    mine was bad when I bought the boat and i flushed with a good amount of bleach at first. I now put a few little chunks of pool tablet in the fill tube at every fill. we dont drink the water so it just keeps it fresh enough. 
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    flush mine at the beginning of each season.  pour 1/2 of a bottle of bleach in fresh water tank.  run all faucets until i smell the bleach.  let it sit overnight.  Flush the tank 3 times with fresh water.  all good for the season.  I think i read about this method on this forum.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    welliswellis Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    flush mine at the beginning of each season.  pour 1/2 of a bottle of bleach in fresh water tank.  run all faucets until i smell the bleach.  let it sit overnight.  Flush the tank 3 times with fresh water.  all good for the season.  I think i read about this method on this forum.
    Bleach works great, but the smell......vinegar smell goes away so much faster and IMO cleans and disinfects just as good.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I agree with wellis!  Bleach is very harsh on gaskets/seals.  Vinegar is the way to go!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express