Options

Mystery Electronic sound

BeebeBeebe Member Posts: 16
I have a brand new Rinker 17 foot Captiva OB w/ Merc 90hp 4 stroke.
I notice as soon as I turn engine on there is a small, high-pitched electric or electronic sound coming from the dash area. This is not the warning horn sound. But it is there the whole time I am driving the boat. 

I am hoping someone else has experienced this and can help. It is almost "as if " I had the radio on and it had a background electronic squeak but the radio is off. 

I am 4 hours away from nearest dealer so I am hoping not to have to haul it it before the end of the season but still concerned. 

I hope this is not redundant post. I posted to electrical first and decided to expand....

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of us do not have outboards, LOL

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've likely got stray voltage partially energizing the buzzer.... pop the dash off and lookysee.  Arm yourself with a pair of pliers to squeeze the connects better and electrical tape to isolate connects throughout.  ...... stray voltage is an issue for all of us, outboard and out drive alike. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stray voltage/bad grounds are the evil part of DC wiring circuits.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    evil indeed!!!!  off course, until bebee responds- I just installed a new headset and amplifier.. I had zero power to the harness that powered it- one of three main power leads to the helm... I could see, but I couldn't reach a coupler (between two male harness pin connections)... when I finally figured out how to get to it (turns out I'm quite the contortionist) as soon as I touched it the fat red wire proved itself to be totally separated from the pin, with a nice patina on both sides of the break........... continuing my gymnastic routine, i managed to get the other end of that lead free of the harness, and I used a simple wire cap to reconnect them..... I'll return to this thing after the season... it's a winter project I've decided... :smile:  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beebe, what ever happened about your prop issue?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    BeebeBeebe Member Posts: 16
    @212rowboats...I tired what you suggested and no relief. Another service person said they were not a Rinker dealer so could not check but they thought it was directly in the gauges form Rinker...great. Ringer does not seem to reply to anything...
  • Options
    The gauges disconnect easily enough... unplug them one by one until you discover it, or use a stethoscope to locate it.  A weird connection can certainly do it, too.. 

The gauges are farmed out... most often to Faria, which is a shame because the issues they have. Beautiful gauges... pour quality. 

For a new boat, it's a shame rinker won't respond.