Options

Rinker Tour

randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
When Rinker anounced that Tours were going to be open to the public. I had to go. As How its made TV show is my favorate show. So 7/29/16 I went. First let me say if you own a Rinker you have a very fine boat. I met a fellow by the name of Mark, he spent an hour and a half with me as my guide. I was the only one on the tour. Mark has been with the company 29 years. A very decatated man to his company. Did not get to meet Kim Slocum, he had taken a new QX29 bow rider home with him for the weekend for testing. 
After learning the history, and hiccups, and problems with ownership and past management of the company. I can say you will see a come back of Rinker. With Kim back at the helm.  As when our economy when south a few years ago it took a toll on the boating world, and is slowly recovering. They now have a show room at the plant for dealers and coustmers to veiw. (something new) Next week they have invited all Rinker Dealers. To inspect and view new models and upgrades. 
Even though the company had hardships on management/ownership side, the workmanship did not suffer. They are on a 4 day 10 hour shift at this time, so there were very few at work. The ones I meet where seasoned, trained professionals. Every boat is made to order. Custom made. A dealer fills out a sheet of what is wanted color, eng, options, ect.  No robots, all hand made.
Some of you live far away and could not make such a trip. Just want to share what I saw. Only took a few pictures, as being busy asking questions, and learning new features. 
Boat Name : 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What boat was that?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! Would love to do that tour as I like to know how stuff I made as well..that boat like a 280? Not sure if I like the hard tops or not...one thing I lied about Rinker designs ( ours an 05), they somehow were able to create a larger upper deck area and still have the same space below deck...nit sure they have kept this with the present design but a pretty boat!
  • Options
    @Handy, EX320, Mark gave me new brochures on all the new models, You can go to the Rinker site and see them. They do have a nice QX19 with an outboard, that will be a great entry level boat. The one I saw had a 200 on it and they clocked it at 49 mph.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing Randy, I'll never make it from Vermont so I appreciate the info!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    @randy56 - thank you for sharing your experience.  Most of us will not get the chance to see first-hand the company we're dealing with.  Tell us more!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, no question that is an EC 310 with the Raymarine E series touch screen GPS. No Axius but would be easy to handle if it had 350 mags although those throttles look Volvo so maybe it has the new Volvo 380s?

Looks like the new (highly rated) bamboos carpets!

That hard top is amazing. Over 7 feet of headroom at the helm. Super solid underway and makes R&Ring the canvas a breeze.

From what I have seen from Rinker so far the GLORY DAYS are back!.....Maybe even better than before!

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Totally awesome. Thanks for posting. I am going to try and make a trip there as I am on vacation the next two weeks. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Another suprise was they did not raise there price in 2016, kept them the same. The 320 that was displayed. had 4.5's in it, no axius but could be added of course. When I ask Mark if he knew Al, yes he said Al was an asset to Rinker while he was there and one of the best quality control guys they had, as well as many other job discriptions,Al preformed. Had a lot of great things to say about him as we allready knew.
     Now there are letting Rinker be there own company with out corperate interfearance. They are running a little over 100 employe"s at this time. 
    Every boat goes into a water tank, for testing, I think 140 point. Start Eng, genny, AC, Put it in gear, forward , reverse, check for leaks. They take pride in there product.
    Gas tanks, as we all know about, in the smaller boats they are now useing a plastic tank, in bigger boats they are useing, and alumium tank but it is coated. 
    As a boater when something breaks or fails. You want to blame Rinker, well it is just maintance. As they are useing premium products and components.
    Mercruiser is in there off and on testing and supporting, helping set up, to make them run propertly, and fuel efficant. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    I may have to go to Indiana on business in the next couple of weeks.   A side trip to Rinker may be necessary! 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Thank you so much for the pictures! I so much want to go!! I just have a hard time getting away from the boat to do it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Awesome write up and pics! Thanks for sharing.

I would love to get to the factory. I know I could convince the admiral to go see her parents in Illinois, and I could side trip to Rinker. Hmmm....
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Randy, did you tell them to clean up the wiring????????????
  • Options
    @ Handy, I did tell them on your behalf to put diesels in bigger crusers. LOL They purchas wireing harn'es from wireing manufacture. Since owning many differant boat over the years actuly there's is pretty clean,  as a do it your selfer, and working on my boats, I had some pretty pour wireing in tracker, cleberty, wellcraft. to name a few, IMO  Rinker is not bad. Compared to others.

If you can picture in your mind your boat being in to halfs. Top and bottom. in the prosess, they assemble componants in both top and bottom half, before sandwiching the two together. Engine, generator, water heater, cabinets, carpet, wireing, builge pumps, cleets, plumbing, upholstery, ect. as it is easy to get to at that time. The bottom half is resting on a dolly, a create with wheels similer to a trailer with 4 wheels. the top half also on a dolly, so they can roll the half's around the plant.  when its time to marry the two, they pick up top half with a over head crane and set it on the bottom half. 
    They use a very strong sealant, caulking/glue if you will to marry the two halfs together, as well as ss screws 3 times, At one time being proud of there sealant. as a test, they  put a boat together, with sealant only, let it set over nite, then the next day picked the whole boat up with the overhead crane, without any screws and it held together. Good stuff!. 

In the best of times, boat sales, RV sales, great cash flow in the country was good.it was in 2006. And thats when Rinker had a hayday, I think Al was there at that time. They had at that time over 500 employees, and was cranking out 75 boats a week.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I am helping someone at the club with wiring issues. The boat is a Searay and talk about a mess. Holy smokes they can keep their SR what trash.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Syracuse IN is a wonderful small town of about 3000 people, you may see a few amish around, everyone I meet were nice people. There is the old part of town with old beautiful buildings and new part of town with fast food and such. It has some battel scar"s from the market crash industry's did'nt make it. Two Lakes Syarcuse, being small with million dollar homes with docks in back yard. and enough boats if every one took them out at the same time you could walk accross the lake with out getting your feet wet.
    Lake Wawasee, much bigger deeper nice lake, and again multi million dollar homes all around it, docks and boats every where.  
    @cable I cannot help it, but Lucas Oil stadium is just about 2.5 hours south.  :) just sayin..............
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56, I will be there in November! Thanksgiving night sporting my black and gold. I should be hard to spot. :p
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Rinker has been building boats for 69 years. In the 1930s, a dairy farmer named Lossie Rinker started building fishing boats and racing boats. His sons, Jan and John joined their father after serving in the Korean War and established Rinkerbuilt in Syracuse. In 1945, the company's first race brand was called Famous Craft. In 1958 they introduced fiberglass boats, long before competitors. Rinkerbuilt's 15-17ft tri-hulls became popular in the 1970s. In the 90s Rinker built some of the most popular express cruisers, and included big-block motors. Rinker is the oldest American boat brand in continuous production. 
    @ cable, Proud of ya!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    It would be neat if Rinker made a history book with all the models and specs. 
  • Options
    @ LaRea, last post about tour, A question to Mark I had, was why does Rinker change model numbers every so often when its still the same boat, basically.
    Example: on a dissission earlier this week about the 272 and 282. and sorry i do not know which one came first. and how long they built each model,  but lets say they built a 272 for 5 years,. then changed the model to 282 for the next 5 years, the reason is all about sales and marketing. But its the same boat. The dealers and Rinker can premote an exciting  new model. Instead of haveing one model forever. For me its easy to get confused, does not take much, about model numbers when they were built.  And whats the differance. If any. Maybe some of you have it figured out. Like Handy says it would be neat to have log book of models and specs. and the years built.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 IMO the changes came because of ownership changes plus now all  boat manufacturers now use LOA instead of "water line" for size. In other words my 2002 342FV is a 34 foot boat however nowadays the 342 would be considered a 37 foot boat. A friend of mine has a 2014 360 but my 342 is longer (including the swim platform). Hope this helps.... 
  • Options
    Raybo, yes I forgot Mark talked about that, LOA instead of water line measurement of the past., he mentioned some smaller lakes will only let 24 ft boats on them. I had never heard of that. 
    Also I did not know a 342 was a 37ft, thinking it was 34ft. Maybe some day I can be like you rich guys and get a 342. 
    Hey did someone turn on the spell check, thanks i need it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Rich guys.........LOL I dont think so. I work very hard to "afford" my boat, all that overtime.....LOL Its 14 years old but it is in great shape...... If you add my anchor in I pay for a 38'5" boat. If you look up a 342 on yachtworld you need to type in 37'.....
  • Options
    @randy56, Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland has a max length of 26' for fiberglass style boats and 30' max length for pontoons.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    If my father were still alive, I think he would get a kick out of me owning a Rinker. He used to spend a lot of time on Lake Wawasee as a kid. His older Brother was an Executive with Seal Test in Milwaukee and Uncle Don & Aunt Ruby had a 2nd house on Lake Wawasee. Ruby's sister, Blanche and her husband had a house there as well. Any of you guys taking in the Rinker factory tour should also make the trip over to Auburn, about 40 miles East and check out the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum also.
  • Options
    Well it looks like I wont be making the trip for the tour. Found out my Girlfriend has to work and cant get enough time off to make the trip.....
  • Options
    Get a new girlfriend. Just sayin
  • Options
    Really Handy really.........
  • Options
    go with out her, I went by myself.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Glassguy54, Did you get to visit Wawasee? it appears that there a lot of second homes or weekend retreats, many were vacant,  clean and livable.
    Thanks for sharing the auto museum, did not know about it. Would have been a good side trip. I visited there web site, cool cars.  
    Boat Name :