Options

Weld a pinhole in a stainless manifold?

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
After I cleaned my spark arrestor this morning, I started the boat and noticed a stream of water squirting from the factory weld on my stainless manifolds. They are from Stainless Marine and were installed in 2010. I am supposed to leave on Sunday for a week-long trip with my wife(and no kids!!!). Should I have the manifold welded(if it is not completely rotted) or am I just being dumb? If I ordered replacements, is it a job I could do by myself? Here is a video of pinhole leak: https://youtu.be/7i5gOOi0GPo

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be rare for the stainless to have corroded that bad. Probably a bad initial weld and it cracked. Either way the manifold has to come off, need to electrically weld that and whomever does it needs to be good with welding stainless. I'd be asking about warranty myself. If you can get to the fasteners easy, very DIY job. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I looked quickly on their website and they have a 5yr warranty... These things always happen at the worst possible time... Last year before our trip I had to replace the outdrive. 
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Bummer!  

BUT... Push comes to shove, here's what I would do with limited time and quick fix.  

Sand the area, clean it.  Goop it with 5200 and use a metallic tape.  You can get the tape at Home Depot.  It's like thick foil and very adhesive, water proof.  Let the 5200 fast dry firm up for an hour.  Then wrap the joint several times really tight.  Wait 24 hours and you should be good to go through your trip.

These components should not be to hot where it's leaking so I would worry about it.

Good Luck!

Mark
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking temporary fix and then fix properly on warranty when you can. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"