Options

Battery Isolator

brandonmayberrybrandonmayberry Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
Boat is a 2002 Rinker Fiesta Vee 242 with Mercruiser Mag MPI 350.
I have been running into the issue that one bank of my batteries is not charging on either my shore power or my alternator. The other bank charges great. The batteries are brand new and the charger is brand new. Batteries were charging fine on the new charger so im sure its hooked up correctly. I believe it to be the battery isolator. I havent had the chance to test it yet.

My question is whether i can get a direct replacement or if i have to go aftermarket. I would gladly pay a little more for the exact one that came on the boat but cant find it. Any idea where to look?

Comments

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    a battery isolator is a just a BIG AXX diode. the only way to break one is to over current one. before you buy a new one, test it. you will have continuity one way and resistance the other way
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    If you have your original's manufacturer and P/N it should be available on Amazon or google it.  Rinker may not have put the exact unit in every FV-242 they made.  ProMariner makes a nice line of the older style isolators, and Blue Sea has a nice line of "add a battery" kits which come with the newer type Automatic Charging Relay/Isolators.