Options

Anchor chain/rode Windlass issues.

NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
Very frustrating problem with my windlass and anchor chain, when pulling the chain back in it sort of piles up on top of itself in the locker then binds up the windlass.  The only fix is to go below remove the mirror and the round port cover and then move the chain around in the locker so it doesn't block the opening (that is the second issue).  The opening for my 5/16 chain seems way too small, has anyone made it larger?  Also, just bought new chain and rode  this year and the windlass is having a real hard time making the transition from rode to chain when pulling it up, it gets to the transition and then just sort of spins until someone "helps" the chain start making contact with the gypsy and it will eventually grab.  The combination of these three problems makes pulling anchor a major PITA and certainly a two person job, since I only have controls for the windlass at the helm.  Does someone make an aftermarket control that could be stored until needed then plugged into the windlass directly?

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    300 express 2007
    I also have the same problem with the rode and chain piling up and jamming my windlass.At one time Al suggest removing 10 feet of rode, I did that but the problem is still there.I am lucky since I do have foot control at the windlass,so l carry a wooden dowel so I can push the chain and rode downward, but still a pita. If you find a solution let me know.
    tks
    Paul
  • Options
    Heck, I hadn't even thought of the wooden dowel!  Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tightened the side nut so that the  gypsey can't spin Freeley, any chance hat its come lose? Also is the spring on the control arm still holding tension on the arm so it's pushing down on the chain and line? My spring was not holding good tension. I removed it and oiled up the spring and now it pushes down like a champ. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Spring arm pushes down pretty hard, gypsy is tightened.
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have the rode/chain transition problem occasionally on mine. I added a remote control to make it a one person job.  When it hangs, I just head up on the bow, open the anchor locker and step on the spring arm until chain catches.

I forgot to mention...I did replace the spring and arm a few years ago but it still slips.
    Post edited by DanD2 on
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    Same here with rope/chain transition.  Try using the engines to remove tension from the rode.  Also, take a look at the end of the rope to make sure it's not getting chewed up too bad. 

@Liberty44140 - how hard was it to service the spring?  Mine needs it.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @LaRea it was super easy. I have the 600 which I think everyone has. On the Stbd side there are 5 Allen wrench screws which have sae heads. Pull them out and then carefully slide that plastic section off along with the arm and spring. All will easily slide off together revealing the electric motor. Then the spring can come out and be serviced. I was going to buy a new spring but a little leftover 30wt oil and I was back in business, just a few drops. Good luck 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I added a Lewmar pro-sport 550 vertical windlass to my FV242, and have the same issue transitioning from line (8 plait) to chain (1/4 G4). The gypsy grabs the line and the chain hard enough to stall the windlass, yet when transitioning between the two, it just jumps on the gypsy. It often takes several tries, and occasionally I have to pull on the chain to get it to grab. I should have taken the advise of some of the others on this forum and went with all chain. Tried to save money by going with rope/chain rode, but may end paying for both.
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Has anybody added an after market remote control on their 600, is it even possible?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I have......I stated that I put in a remote on my first post.

Shop around on the net for

Lewmar 3-Button Windlass Wireless Remote Kit

they range from $230 to $290. Pretty easy to put in.
  • Options
    I started looking the other day, my windlass is not OEM, it's much heavier duty, but it was too dark to see any details.  I am sure I can find some kind of remote for it. Must have been special order at the time of the build since I got the boat with 30 hours on it, I don't think previous owner upgraded anything. 
  • Options
    The only thing the remote does (at least the one I used) is by-pass the switch. Doesn't really matter what make it is.