Options

Tidal Water Tips- beaching?

NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
As previously mentioned more than once, I'm no Blackbeard of the Seas.  I've got a 19' Captiva Bowrider as my first powerboat.  The family is planning a day trip so the girls can do some shell hunting in the north side of the Chesapeake Bay (Eastern Shore).  We initially planned to take the kayaks and canoe, but the thought then came up- "An engine always makes a trip better!"  So, I'm contemplating taking the boat.  Gently beaching at the Lake is a non-issue, but this tidal water poses an entirely different scenario- especially given that the plan would probably be to leave the boat unattended for 4-5 hrs.  It looks like the tidal rise is about 3' this week.  We'd be landing about mid way to high tide, probably leaving an hour or so before low tide.
I'd pull my Danforth anchor out and bury it up on the beach, but the boat may try to float in a little with the incoming tide.  Then getting it back out poses the concern.  Obviously this is largely dependent on the slope of the beach I'm landing on.  If there's an 18" shelf a few feet out would be ideal, but who knows what I'll find.  I realize there are plenty of variables that I'm not talking about, but I'm open to opinions...

Comments

• Options
    The more I think about it, the more I think it may be less stressful to just take the canoe/kayaks so I won't be stressed about the boat all day.  Leaving it unattended on the beach for a few hours may kill me!  Though this is an uninhabited island.  
    I'm not equipped or experienced enough to consider anchoring it just off the beach.  I could imagine seeing it float by 1/4 mile away as I'm trying to relax on the beach.  If those with experience beaching say it's definitely do-able, I might go that route.  Extra pic for perspective on currents, I'd probably plan to beach near the end of the white line.

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I beach every weekend on a sand bar, and though the boat is rarely out of sight, it is still 'unattended' for five or six hours (unless I went to it to collect more barley pops) :) 

two anchors- one off forward, one off aft... boat far enough off the actual shore that it will be in water at least the whole time... bow in, not stern in... use center cleats to tie off on, because depending on current it may pull to either side, and will change on the tides.  I toss a larger than i need danforth off the stern, and bury the smaller one on the beach... leave enough slack in both that the height of the tide won't matter, and rely on the tide to keep it taught.... with your 19' boat, that's anchors set a minimum of 25' behind and 25' in front of them boat, and you'll be g2g.   
  • Options
    Things that are coming to mind...  If there are waves more than ~8", beaching a boat is probably a bad idea, right?  Unless maybe there was a stern anchor holding the boat straight.  But, I can't see that I'd want the bottom bouncing up and down on the sand as the tide rises and falls.  Beaching a boat in any kind of wave is not sounding good.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

Well, I don't want to kill your boat time, but, that area really depends on wind.  I've boated thru the CBBT the last 6 years and there can be some wind and waves.  If you are going to the back side of that island (not sure what depth is), then you will be fine.  If you are planning on anchoring on Ocean side, just go with the kayaks.  (Can't believe I'm saying that)

Where were you thinking of taking the boat from?  Trailer across the CBBT or dunk in on Western side and boat over?

There are a couple small beaches on the north side of Hampton that is decent.  Two near the entrance to Salt Ponds (north and south side) which definitely have some shells.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NRath- this is always my anixt and you will see I have similar threads as well...we have a 270. bow out for sure, the two anchors although I did not get the comment about using center cleats. I have an electric anchor in the front and would use a heave anchor in the rear. I also have an inflatable I can use so I can leave it out in the water a bit. Would never do it on the Atlantic side of Florida....well maybe further south but not around central Florida...on the Gulf, would for sure. We do mostly inland boating at present with the time I have available but I do get your concern. Just like everything else, you have to do it and lean it.
  • Options
    @212Rowboat- thanks for your suggestions, hearing what is working for others is great info.

@Dream_Inn -I was figuring to drop in at Wise Point Boat Ramp, which is on the north side, just across the CBBT and past Fisherman's Island.  Basically the NW side of my white line in the 2nd pic.  I was planning to beach it on the back side of the barrier island- the SE end of my white line.  Then, we'd walk around the point of Smith Island to the Atlantic side.  No plans to take any boat to the ocean side.  Biggest problem with that plan is that its only about 4 miles roundtrip!!!  I'd have to pull the family off the beach to go do some riding around.  Don't know how well that would work!  That's a long haul from central VA for only 4 miles!

The Admiral has heard stories of sea shell glory on Smith Island, so we're pretty committed to there for this trip.  However, I would like to know where the Salt Ponds are for general knowledge.

@Rasbury- Glad to hear I'm not the only one!  I think DI is referring to center cleats such as bow of boat- where your windlass is, and maybe one center of the stern.  My 'lil 19 only has rear corners- no center back there.

• Options

@NRath, sounds like a good time no matter which route you go.  It is a bit of hauling just to use the boat those 4 miles.  It can be a nice ride up to Cape Charles.  I'll also add, if you have the boat there and it is really calm, then a crossing to Cape Henry to see some dolphins is really cool.  There are always dolphins just on the Ocean side of Cape Henry, but for the 19' it'd have to be calm to cross.  I'm betting it'd be a pretty penny to cover hauling the boat as well as the car across the CBBT.

As far as salt ponds, it's just around the Hampton area, bit north on the Chesapeake.  We like the marina there and there are beaches to both the north and south of the entrance.

• Options
    I decided to go light- taking the paddles this trip.  I appreciate the tips and will put the bits of info in the bank!  The trucks loaded, we'll be headed East bright and early tomorrow.
  • Options
    How'd it go??  Seemed like a beautiful weekend.