Battery series 2002 342 twin 350 merc

Does anyone have the specs for replacement starting and house batteries ? Battery series 2002 342 twin 350 Merc's

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

How much do you want to spend? Not being cute but that will determine a lot.

Also is your battery charger capable of charging different types of battery chemistry and/or two different types of battery chemistry at the same time?

As a minimum I'd buy Series 31 flooded for starting and Series 31 deep Cycle for House. I would want a minimum of 1000 MCA for the starting batteries. 

Newer, electronically laden boats, need 1000CCA for starting batteries.

My favorites however are Series 31 AGM (Absorbed Glass mat) batteries. 

The best, imo, are (TPPL) Thin Plate Pure Lead AGMs.

*****BTW make sure, if you have two or more house batteries that they are connected properly to get maximum endurance and amp hours.

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I agree with MT except for 1 thing.....you really don't need 31's for starting, especially on a 2002. Buy 2, 24 series starting batteries and put the extra money towards another 31 series house batt. 3 house batteries are reallyt nice to have when your on the hook overnight.
    More than likely, if your charger is OEM, it will not be able to do AGM's
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • blueman9155blueman9155 Member Posts: 6
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanD2....not arguing, but remember - 1000MCA is only about 650 CCA. A series 24 with 650 +/- CCA is getting a bit close to the easy to fail margin for me. Again, not arguing, but for not too many extra $$$$ I like a little more safety margin, hence the Series 31s. Just my 2 cents! :-)