Options

Feedback on 05-08 Captiva 282 bowrider?

Pretty sure we will be in the market for a boat in the spring, unless an absolute killer deal were to come up before then.  I've had a 312 Rinker before and really had no complaints with the boat.  A lot of boat for the money, especially when compared to other brands.  Since then I've had 2 SeaRay 240 SunDeck boats.  Loved the boats, great layout, easy resale, never had an issue and we could easily head out with 4 adults and 6 kids.  I'm tempted to pick up another one with the 350MAG engine or what I'd really like is a 270 SunDeck with 496.  But, tonight on a whim I went on boat trader and put in a very general search and came across a few Rinker Captiva 282 boats.  Quick look, very impressive!  Love the layout, never had a Volvo before, and it appears that I could get a newer 282 Captiva for less than an older 270 SunDeck, possibly less than a 240 as well.

So here I am asking for feedback on the 282 Captiva bowrider.  Anyone care to share their ownership experience, or if you decided not to buy one, etc.

Thanks in advance.

JK

Comments

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I dunno, I'm guess I'm just really biased, and this is purely a personal opinion, but I think deck boats are rather dorky and clumsy looking as compared to a Captiva which is a very sleek looking boat. It has plenty of room, the integral swim platform is likewise sleek looking, you have a beach re boarding ladder in the bow, a cockpit wet bar, transom freshwater shower, enclosed head compartment/changing room, you can close off the bow area with the dedicated bi-fold door for those cooler days, and did I mention they look great? We have a 2007 246 Captiva,  Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI, Bravo III and love it. We occasionally see some of the 276 and 296 Captivas (I guess the 282 must be an older model) and are really impressed with the features and good looks. The sport arch is really cool looking on the larger Captivas - ours just has a bimini, but we always get compliments on what a nice looking boat we have.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Seanile, Welcome to forum, You will be happy with a Rinker, Glassguy, you forgot to mention how good it looks. And it does, and how sleek it is, how comfortable you are, how you look good in it, nice set up Glass.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    SeaNileSeaNile Member Posts: 5
    http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-rinker-282-captiva-bowrider-102688618

Going to look at this one tomorrow.  Never had a Volvo before.  
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    @Seanile, beware of the dreaded XDP drive that is listed as the drive unit on this boat. These composite drives were manufactured between 2004 through 2008 and have been the source of much dismay amongst boaters and subject to a class action lawsuit, if you have not already heard. It could be a subject for negotiating the price down.
    @randy56, thank you for the compliment.
  • Options
    Just finding out now about the XDP drives.  Certainly doesn't sound good.  Knew this was too good to be true!  I'm going to keep researching and see if I can come up with a number to discount due to the drive.  I already had 25K in my head w/o the drive issues....
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Def do NOT get a volvo... Mercruiser only. I just went through this with owning a boat that had an OMC out drive.  It's terrible. Spent all winter learning how to work on it and fix it because NO ONE wanted to work on it. Samething with the volvo. 
  • Options
    Letting my budget do the shopping for me.  Looks like an 04-06 SeaRay SunDeck 240 with 350MAG is in my future.  There is one 282 Captiva BR with a 496 Merc but they are asking $39,900.  Most I'll spend is 30K.  With so many SunDecks out there I have a feeling that is what I will get.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great looking boat. They don't show the drive in the pics. The price is probably low because if the drives.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Found an 05 Sea Ray SunDeck 270 w/496 that I can't pass up.  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    happy boating!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    DavidshanksDavidshanks Member Posts: 2
    I traded a Regal 2690 cruiser for the Rinker 296 OB with the 8.1 Volvo. I've had great luck with Volvo and had a Bravo 1 drive go out at 300 hrs. I love the Volvo drives. I was afraid of the Rinker after all the reviews of lower quality, cutting corners, etc. so far it's been unfounded. I had as many workmanship issues and defective parts, gauges, etc. with my Regal. I imagine resale will be more difficult and they depreciate faster than other brands, but I have a newer, bigger boat than if I went with a more expensive brand. Sea ray 290 was almost double for the same year. With the 8.1 I have better performance than most other single engines and fuel economy is much better than my twin V6s. The 282 was a model between the 276 and 296 in the late 2000s. Not sure if/when it was discontinued.
  • Options
    nascarnuts27nascarnuts27 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 282 Captiva 8.1 Volvo with the dreaded XDP which I didn’t know about at the time of purchase. It was a project boat engine had been neglected and rusted up. Had engine rebuilt (they threw away the short block it was so bad) and after getting it to run right turned out ok. The marina said it didn’t appear to have the original XDP drive and the previous owner said he thought the original owner had a replacement done under warranty.  Anyhow good boat runs 48 mph lightly loaded, looks good after I taught myself how to compound/buff/polish the hull (saving $2500).