Options

Alpha one gen 2 question

zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
so I noticed on this new to me boat aka first season that once in a while my star engine won't go into gear. I hear like a partial gear engagement feel and  noise so then I take it out of gear and back in and it engages. This happens most of the time backing out in reverse but also in forward sometimes.
now this happens once in a blue moon bun it's concerning to me. Is there a adjustment that I can do myself?

Comments

• Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Just tap the throttle and it will engage... my drives do the same thing
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a shift cable adjustment or replacement if there is more than normal resistance.
  • Options
    If i throttle it still won't engage. Resistance is fine
    how do I make adjustments to it?
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    You need a special tool and the service manual for specs if is is the same as a BIII. It was worth the $45 to have mine adjusted by the mechanic.   -Paul
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not hard to adjust them... it all happens at the plate located on the starboard riser... 

you're looking for a precise amount of slack.  spin the barrel until you have it- it's between 9/16" and 5/8" if I recall correctly, but, look it up to be sure. it's a pretty tight tolerance, whatever it is.. 
  • Options
    Checked the 6 inch cable adjustment and all looks identical from side to side and a n spec.
    maybe I need to be more swift with shifting Them alphas. I know people say you need to drop them in gear vs easy in.
    i need adjust more detent on my shifter where it locks in reverse and fwd 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, older Bravos too do not like to be eased into gear. Nice crisp shift.
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Yes, older Bravos too do not like to be eased into gear. Nice crisp shift.
    Nice crisp shift?   More like Shift it like your trying to break it.  Those pretty gears dont like to be shifed slowly so the teeth chatter. They like to be slammed together so they engage quickly.
    As far as the Alpha goes, if its not going in reverse then 1 of 2 things is happening. Either the cables have stretched or the adjuster has slipped. Google how to adjust the cables, very simple to do. IF adjusting doesnt help, then replace the cables. THere are 2 cables. The cable going from engine to throttle is the easy one and it usually doesnt stretch. The cable going from engine to outdrive is a pain in the behind to change and it is the one that usually stretches