Options

Cleaning tanks and lines

SheriSheri Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
I purged the water that was in the tanks this weekend by just running the faucets. the yuck that came through the faucet filter leads me to want to clean the fresh water tank. so I am thinking id needs to be hale full and something added to is and then drive the boat around to help with the process. is there a better way and what do you use to clean and sanitize your fresh water tank? Oh and the hot water smelled of sulfur, any suggestions on that?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the boat have a city water hook up? If so, connect a hose to it and run the hot water for 30 minutes or so. Wait a day or two and do it again. Repeat a few more times. At the beginning of the season, my hot water tank smells the same and I just flush water thru it multiple times. The sulfur will go away.

As far as the tank goes, I would run all of the water out of it. Then refill with new water along with some drinking water freshener. I pick up Camco Drinking Water Freshener at Wally World in the RV section in the Sporting Goods department. I use a small amount every time I fill the tank.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Put a small amount of bleach in there and let it sit for a day then flush with fresh water and all should be good.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition, add a bunch of ice cubes to the tank and take a cruise. They will 'scrub' the tank. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

Thank you, Flush, Bleach, flush, add ice and drive...  Got it! I will let you  know if it works. it will be a few days as Mother Nature decided to pour rain and it looks like she is doing this all week.

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    That RV water freshener stuff works well too, as a maintenance item.
  • Options
    Thank you NavyCTRC, I use that in the RV as well so I guess I should have thought of that!