Options

Block Island RI

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
The admiral and me are anchored out in the Great Salt Pond, Block Island RI... Directly in front of Breezy point. Took us 3.5hrs to get here yesterday. Cruising though the ocean along the east coast of Long Island NY, then approximately 16 miles east off Montauk Point through the Block Island Sound to get here. We saw 2 pods of dolphins, MASSIVE  schools of bunker and a group of sharks attacking something along the way. What an incredible place this is!!!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome! My wife and I took the ferry from Montauk to BI and rented a scooter last year. If you guys have the time I highly recommend renting a scooter to see the island.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    We dinked over to the Oar and took a taxi to town... Went to more shops than I'd like to admit to. We ate, drank, ate and drank some more... Walked from town back to the dinghy hitting just about every bar on the way. Tomorrow is our 18 year anniversary and plan on meeting some friends during the day(they're taking ferry over from the mainland), Dead Eye **** or Narragansett Inn for dinner and dinking over to the northwest end of the island to watch the sun set over the Block Island Sound. Thank god I have the mother that I have or this wouldn't have happened... I paid for her round trip tickets up from Florida to watch my kids, house and dogs... She's a saint!!!
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Ha ha... Dead Eye D*cks got edited out.... It just a name!!!! Lol
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Awesome trip. did you drive straight through?
  • Options
    How calm or rough was the water from Montauk to BI?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy 18th on the water!  Hats off to your mom. give her big hug.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I'm here as well! We are in the middle of our 11 day summer trip. We shot over from our first three days in cuttyhunk and docked at Champlins yesterday. Nice calm seas yesterday and cruised at a comfy 28kts. We are leaving Champlins Wednesday and going on the hook through Sunday. Look out for a blue 360, R Beach. There is always rum on this ship if you happen upon us... We anchor pretty close to dinghy beach. If you want any reccomendations on anything lmk. This is our summer spot and we get out here as much as possible. Such a well serviced harbor especially while on anchor. Ice and water boats, pumpouts, and Aldo's in the morning or afternoon for good boatside eats. Hail them on 71. Or just flag them down when you hear them singing "Adiammoooo".. Ps- careful as you dink around. The new asst harbormaster is a d*^k. I got yelled at a couple weeks ago for traveling a bit too fast as my daughter had a potty emergency.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to visit Killer Doughnuts!  Right next to Dead Eye D*cks. Awesome doughnuts. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    BD does not lie!  Or if bagels are your thing my favorite bagel shop on this planet is right next to the BIG (block island grocery). 

P.s. - BD the davits are working out great. 
  • Options
    We drove straight through... The ocean was incredible, 29-30mph the entire way from Moriches inlet to block island!!!  Been to the homemade donut shop, Poor People's Pub, etc... Live this place!!  Love hearing "ADIAMO" at 8:30am... Craigswardmtb - I'll keep my eye out, we're in a white/blue FV270 anchored at Breezy Point. Rum was all consumed tonight, but the Patron and whiskey is still in stock!!! 
  • Options
    Craigswardmtb: was down at Champlains today for a drink with a group of friends. I remember walking past a blue 360(left hand side when leaving the dock)... Was that you? Didn't even dawn on me until I read this thread again. 
  • Options
    That was us.  We were on coast guard beach this afternoon. Was the boat empty?  We are anchoring tomorrow morning. How long r u guys out?
  • Options
    Apparently it's Halloween at Champlins this weekend. Always a fun time. We have some friends coming out for music fest as well Sunday. Lots happening on the island. You should visit after Labor Day sometime. What a different place....
  • Options
    We are hitting the road this morning after the weather passes over us... Going to stay a night at Shelter Island and then head home Thursday... Beautiful boat you have there!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a nice trip that sounds like....last two years we have taken a week off for a boatcation, rained 25" the first week we tried and last year a record 27" on the west coast. This year in July we have had no rain at all, go figure. 
  • Options
    Diggin, I just got a tornado warning on my phone for Eastern Suffolk. I hope you guys are safe. I looked at my radar and it was right over Shelter Island. My wife's parents live on Shelter Island, we tried to call their cells and the house phone but couldn't get through.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
  • Options
    My wife was able to get in touch with her mother. She said they have never seen it rain so hard! Didn't say much about wind so that's a good thing. Hopefully @diggin2day1 will post soon.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    We're in safe harbor... We left Block Island this morning after a storm passed over us. Made a run for Coecles Harbor, Shelter Island. We were about 10 Miles from our destination when we could see the big storm coming directly at us over the horizon. We made it with only minutes to spare before the rain and wind hit us hard. We endured about 4 hours of torrential rain, driving wind that twisted our boat in all directions and thunder/lightening like I've never seen. We were in constant contact with a good friend(weather buff) that warned us of an approaching tornado. Have to be honest, we were extremely nervous for a long time today. We are currently anchored in the same harbor with about 16 miles of rode paid out. Spending the night and we'll make our way home in the morning hoping it's a better day. Thank you for thinking of us. I hope everyone else made it through without incident today!! I'll post some video and pics...
  • Options
  • Options
    Glad to hear your safe!! Just received this notification from Newsday.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thank brother... It was crazy. I'll post some video of the rain/wind tomorrow when I get home. 
  • Options
    I took a screenshot of the radar today to text to my wife. Maybe you want to put it in your scrapbook of the trip, LoL! The pink over Shelter Island was the tornado warning area.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Wow. Glad to hear you made it!  The wind was howling on block yesterday. We left Champlins to get fuel and drop anchor and that was interesting in itself...  I talked to a few fisherman yesterday morn and they said the waves and wind were brutal outside. They went out and promptly came back. They were on smaller vessels though. How was the crossing?  Did your teeth hurt by the time you got there? It's partly sunny this morning but still gusty. Hopefully it settles for our crossing Sunday. 
    Too bad we didn't connect for a cold one. Next time!  Enjoy the rest of your trip. Shelter and Sag are two places on my list to hit in the near future. I hear good things. 
  • Options
    The crossing wasn't too bad at all... Would've like to have a better day at Shelter Island. Honestly, we felt like we won something once the storm subsided(even got a fist-bump from the admiral). We really slipped between the cracks of the two storms yesterday and as happy as I am that we are okay, we were stupid and careless. I learned something big yesterday and will never take a big trip/crossing like that lightly again. VHF weather forecasts and multiple radar/weather apps before heading out anywhere like that. Lesson learned!! 
  • Options
    Here is a quick video of the rain and wind we were getting hit with... Lasted like that for over 4 hours. The quick jerking was the boat getting hit with nasty wind gusts!! https://youtu.be/qV0mZ4bJ9qY
  • Options
    WoW, we got caught in a bad rain storm off of Smith's Point a few weeks ago. Luckily the wind wasn't too bad but the rain was nuts! Here is the radar snap shot from that day(we were the blue dot bobbin in the water)
    2008 330EC