teak wood

What's the best way to finish teak wood? I was told by my grandfather to sand it with 120 and apply transmission fluid. And how often does it need re-finishing? Also what type of oil does an alpha one gen one tilt trim pump take and how do you bleed the system?

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Need more info on the teak. Is it a floor? Is it trim? Teak can be cleaned using teak cleaner part A and part B. Then use teak oil. Any marine supply will have it. A few  boats at my club use varnish on their teak. They apply the varnish in the winter and it lasts the whole summer. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.waterlox.com/marine

You guys may want to consider this product. I used it on my old boat after properly cleaning the teak and it looked great for about 2 years. 
  • 88_rinker_v17088_rinker_v170 Member Posts: 22
    Just trim and a swim ladder and ski storage cover plus I'm on a tight budget so what is the best way?
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Teka part A&B with teak oil would be easiest and cheapest IMO..........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Some say that oiling teak will displace the teak's natural oils and require more frequent oil applications.   You could try a very light sanding first and see if that is sufficient.   If oil then consider 100% tung oil

• seadogsseadogs Member Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have teak on the floor and swim platform. I used the part A and B cleaners and oil for the past several years.   This year I tried starbright  tropical teak sealer.  It has been great. We have not had to reseal yet this year.  I would reoil every three weeks. Its 50 bucks at west marine.

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your teak is a table you might want to use a food friendly product. As well if you have children or pets who may come into contact with it I'd check to make sure it was not poisonous. Hawes Lemon Oil used to be rated food/child/pet friendly. I hear the company was bought-out and is now called "Old English lemon Oil". I have not used any product with the new name so I would want to make sure that it's formulation has not been changed. The Hawes used to give a nice new look to the teak and did not build-up.
  • 88_rinker_v17088_rinker_v170 Member Posts: 22
    The guy who owned the boat before me stained and put poly on it I sanded it with 80 to strip off the poly and then I sanded it with 120 as smooth as it could get.  I talked with a guy I know who does boat restore work and all body and gel coat work. He said to wiped all the teak off with Murphy's wood oil then take 220 sand it again apply teak oil once a day for two weeks and I'll never have to worry about it again im going to try that first.  Where do I get new teak trim?