Options

New To The Forum Introduction

Hello,

After looking at many boats and reading Bigweekend88's discussion "Recently Purchased 1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250" we decided to purchase what appears to be a solid well cared for 88 Fiesta Vee 250.  

(Great thread by the way, inspiring.)

It's now in dry doc in/out storage in Milwaukee on Lake Michigan. Next week the marina will be changing the fluds and servicing the lower unit so that we can get a baseline on the mechanics. Aside from that she needs good cleaning and a few light bulbs replaced. 

We plan to drive this boat north towards and if we're lucky arriving in Green Bay or better yet Door County. I was thinking that a kicker motor might be a handy piece of equipment in case of mechanical issues.

Important to note here that the boat provides no indication that it would have mechanical issues.   We also have towing insurance. 

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughs on adding/no adding a kicker motor. If anyone has a photo of an installation I could look at that would be great. 

Thank you and I look forward to being a contributing member. 

David H - Milwaukee
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250
1982 Ski Nautique 2001

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad for an old Girl. Good name too!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Very nice looking ride!  Welcome to the forum!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Welcome - nice catch!  She looks ready for some serious fishing.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Welcome to the RBOC and good luck with your new nice looking ride
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a good fishing boat. It has more rod holders than Mark Bs boat!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking! Can you post some pictures of the interior? I have never been in a boat laid out like that and curious as to how the interior is laid out- probably way more room than my 270!
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Welcome Aboard and congrats on the great looking ride! The broke in ones are the best IMHO!
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Nice boat, and Rinker's original proper cruiser.  My opinion on the kicker is it shouldn't be needed if you are a Boat US or other tow service member, have a VHF or a cell phone, and keep up with your maintenance.  Welcome to the club!
  • Options
    NoahsArkNoahsArk Member Posts: 8
    Good to hear from ya'll. 

1) The previous owner was a fisherman. I'm going need a few fishing rods  for those holders. 

2)  The 270 looks nice and roomy. Yes I'll post some interior photos. I'll be cleaning her up this weekend in the dry dock. 

The main deck area looks to be similar to the 270 except without the second bench seat and table.  

For example: http://cdn.dealerspike.com/imglib/v1/800x600/imglib/Assets/Inventory/B6/09/B60904B2-D710-4A40-A823-877B15A1E096.JPG

The cabin loooks like this with a sleeping room below the helm.

For example:
    http://www.mnwatersports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/291387-500x375.jpg

http://www.mnwatersports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/618370-500x375.jpg

3) Towing Insurance. I do have this with my insurance company. I'll also check with Boat US. It seems like Boat US has some additonal  service that maybe helpful. 

The VHF radio lights up however doesn't make any noise. I'm going to look closer at it and replace if it isn't working. 
    David H - Milwaukee
    1982 Ski Nautique 2001
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Capitalized on purpose.  

GET BOATTOW US INSURANCE.   
    100$ a year for piece of mind is an Awsome deal.  Boat breaks down.  They get you.    Too drunk to drive boat , tell them the boat broke.   They come get you. Your on a buddies boat and it breaks, guess what, they come get you
  • Options
    88_rinker_v17088_rinker_v170 Member Posts: 22
    The funny thing about your name on here is that it's the name of the shop I work at noahs ark auto and marine LLC! And we are also located in wi
  • Options
    NoahsArkNoahsArk Member Posts: 8
    Greetings again & thanks for your tips. 

We have insurance and skipping the kicker for now. 

I've been quiet while working out the bugs. So far the old girl is doing well.

Currently she's in the shop for maintenance and to get a baseline because it didn't come with any records.

Oil, gear oil, outdrive seals, water seperator, confirm motor alignment, bellows & water pump. Transom appears to be good and the hull seems solid. I need to replace a few light bulbs and fuses. 

For testing purposes I opened her up. 36mph (gps) at 46/4700RPM with a bit of trim, one person, 3/4 tank of gas. 

Picked up a new handheld VHF, reading Boat Smart Chronicles, NOAA Charts & learning how to use the nav.

We're plotting our first trip weather permitting from Milwaukee to Port Washington. 

David H - Milwaukee
    1982 Ski Nautique 2001