Options

How to run wire from engine bay to dash?

lupingladelupinglade Member Posts: 9
Can anyone help me with the proper way to route/run a wire from the engine bay to the dash? There is a firewall and its tricky to tell what the right path to the cockpit is. I have a 2007 Rinker 250. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    edited May 2013
    Electricans Fish tape find it at any hardware or home improvment store

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Yes, I have that, but my question was what the best route to take was.. ie. Where should I be looking to actually insert the wire and should I start from the engine bay or the dash? Just wondering if anyone has done this.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    If you lift the enging hatch and look around you should see the wire harness that feeds the enging from the dash. Just follow that path with a "fish tape" or snake and you should be all set....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Yes, you should see quite a bit going up the stbd side to the helm a couple feet up from the flooring in the engine room, or just under the cockpit flooring along the side.  There will definitely be a few cables, such as shift and throttle.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭

I just ran a transducer cable on my 2004 250FV and it was very easy. All my cables run down the starboard side, if you open the engine hatch, remove the trash can that is above the cooler, remove the big screw in plug right next the helm seat, and I removed the instrument panel. With these out, you can reach everything. It took me about 15 minutes. Of course your 2007 my be different.

Good luck.

2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, just looked at those places and it does look like its going to be easy!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al fiberglass fish tape would work better than a metal one. The metal ones tend to curl and are best used in a conduit.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy not really. If you learn to "snap" the snake you can make it go around corners. Not sure you can do that with a fiberglass one. How ever those fiberglass snakes are very nice. I saw one that lit up at the end of it. Way kewl......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Here's hoping no one gets inspired to name their boat "Snap The Snake." 
  • Options
    And we're just trying to pick out a name too...
  • Options
    What's wrong with naming your boat "Snap The Snake"? It could be a lot worse........LOL