Options

Hot water heater puked.....Kuuma any good?

Found where the water in the bilge was coming from, hot water tank leaks when engine is running, exchanger has a leak in it. Has an attwood in it now, I see the Kuuma brand being sold at several places, anyone have any experience with them?
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had same problem, so I unhooked the hose going to water heater , Then circled it back around to the block.  Thus water is not heated by the eng. but works fine when used on electric. And does not leak. I'm not planning on replacing water heater until other side leaks. Or it quits? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kuuma has a great reputation with guys I know.
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.....yeah going to bypass for now. We only usually use it at dock anyway, so we will still have hot water there
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I bought the Kuuma replacement, we don't use it very much since the water in there gets heated by the engine running and will stay hot basically the weekend.  The couple times I have used it, it works fine.  Takes a minute or two longer to heat up than the OEM did.  I got the stainless one this time around, shouldn't have to worry about it for a good long time!!
  • Options
    I don't know......didsome research and the cheap ones don't seem to last. And I see the "stainless" part is only the outer cover. All the tanks are alum. unless u get into the real $$ ones.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Was your guys replacement pretty straight-forward?  My heat element failed this past weekend and i have to go pick up a replacement at Defender tomorrow.  Any got ya's when replacing?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Heating element is really easy to replace.  Couple screws and it's out.  Just make sure it is filled back up with water before turning on.  Only gotcha you might have is if one of the mounting feet of the tank is also covering the heating element.  Makes it a bit more difficult.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Mine failed a few months back. I did the same
    thing as Randy.  Don't plan on replacing anytime soon.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I just crossed hoses for now.....never use other than at dock anyway.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make sure to drain it at winterization or you will have a mess if it freezes.
  • Options
    Yep, already sucked it out with the shop vac.
  • Options
    My tank ended up having a leak so I replaced it with a Kuuma. The removal of that thing was a PIA because the base was so corroded and getting at the screws fastening it to the floor was very difficult. I think at the factory they had a 3 armed monkey tighten the screws in the back.  Everything else was pretty straightforward. I'm hoping I didn't introduce too much air into the coolant lines. We will see once I fire the engines tomorrow. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where'd you order from? Was it expensive? This is ANOTHER thing I have to do on mine. .
  • Options
    I live by Defender so swung by there. It was around 275.