Options

Seat Screws

MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

I have seat screws that are loose and sloppy. They go from the bottom thru the bracket and then into the wood of  the cushion seat.

What should I do to fix this? Not sure if I can put any bigger (diameter) thru the bracket.

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz

Comments

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what seats these are on, but can you shift the cusion seat maybe 1/2 inch to new wood? If no, consider taking off the cusion and repairing the wood where the screws go. There could be any number of ways to do that from the old match stick glued in the hole trick (probably not a great solution, to drilling out to the size of some dowel stock and glueing in a piece of dowel, to cutting out a butterfly and gluing in a matching piece of new wood. Then redrill an appropriate pilot and reattach. An alternative, if you have space, would be to mount a square piece of stainless plate (probably 1/8th inch) over each screw hole. Probably do this by drilling and screwing it in the four corners of each plate. Then drill and tap an appropriate hole where the current screw hole is and reattach with a stainless machine screw (this assumes a stainless bracket).

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Not a hard job to replace the plywood use treated and re staple with stainless staples lowe's & Home Depot carry them I have thought about using starboard but not sure how it would hold staples and it's to expensive to just buy some and test it.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    What I ended up doing was using plastic insets and screwing into that. they spread as the screw goes in. worked great, very solid.

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz