Options

2005 Rinker 342

jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
Looking at this boat and it has the Volvo XDP drives which I know are notorious for going. What causes them to fail? Any signs? If I were to replace them could you bolt up a bravo 3 drive or has to be a Ocean X drive?  Anyone done this? Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that there was someone on here or the Facebook page that put a Bravo drive on a Volvo engine. Since you are changing the entire transom assembly, that might be worth looking into.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    From what I have heard and read they all say 3 letters.......RUN ......25-30k all done. ugghhh   lol
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a lot of research on this just this past spring as I was in the market for an 04-06 342 which would be the years they did those plastic drives. As jmichaels said most of the info I found was run. Was interesting because there seemed to be a hand full of boats with asking prices $10k less than their mercruiser counterparts and I asked every broker if they had plastic drives and they all said the same thing, "yes but that is why the asking is well below market". To each their own, maybe for the right price it is worth it but my research led me to decide to stick to the famously corrosive bravo 3's :smile:
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would want to find out what it would cost to replace the drives and figure that into the purchase price. It makes you wonder why they didn't take advantage of the replacement program that Volvo offered.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I don't see why you couldn't just replace them with the Volvo DP-S drives.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I had the DPS drives on my 270. No problems at all. Definitely less corrosion issues than my bravo3s. When I was in the market there were some good deals on 342s which had their XDP drives recently replaced with dps or Oceanx drives. It seems like lots of people would be so disenfranchised after they cracked that they would fix them and then sell the boat.  It may be different now. 
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    That's what I have on my boat. They are older than my last boat which had bravo III's and MUCH less corrosion
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Tex68Tex68 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    FYI for all those that want to know what it will cost... Both me and my buddy had XDP drives his on an 06 270 mine on an 08 270. We do a lot of boating together and ironically ours both crapped out on us with in a week of each other. I was on an excursion with my fam and we were about a mile outside of Victoria BC. Nendless to say we limped in and left the boat in Victoria. I had my repaired in BC and it cost just over $17k my buddy had his done in the states and it was over $24K. My repair started in August of 2015 and do to all the hurdles to get Volvo to give a reduced price for the Ocean X I didn't get my boat back till Feb 2016. I could go on and on about this but long story trying to be short, the Ocean X is awesome but anyone trying to sell a boat with an XDP drive needs to reduce it by at least $22k in the US AND $16k Canadian and of course for the 342 with 2 of them, well you do the math. We didn't know going in to this and the broker played dumb which was upsetting but the shinning star to all this is I got my insurance to pay for it, turned around and sold the boat for more than I paid for it and bought a 310 with twin SeaCores and Axius Yes!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man you'll love that 310 Axius!