342 Rode Locker Anchor Point

Hello - I'm new to the forum. I've already gained so much advice so thank you to everyone who has been posting helping tips, etc.

I've been debugging a problem with my windlass not pulling up my rode which I believe will be solved with a replacement control arm. During the debugging process, I pulled out all of my rode only to find that the end of the rode is not attached to an anchor point inside the rode locker. Instead there is a large knot at the end of the rope. Is this normal with the 342? (2002)

Has anyone come up with a more secure method to prevent the rode from completely exiting the locker? (ie. perhaps a small kettle bell attached to the end, etc?)

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be attached to a ring at the bow in the locker. Looks like the one for trailering you see on the bow (outside). 

Make sure the clutch nut is tight on the windlass too. If it gets loose it will not pull or pull much before slipping. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,457 admin
    Keep in mind that the windless should not "pull" the boat. You should put the boat in gear and "follow" the rode while the windless is pulling up the anchor.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, big ring at the bottom of the anchor locker. It can be accessed by unscrewing the deck plate behind the vinyl piece below the bow mirror.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Since our Salt Shaker was new, I violated the rules of using the winch to pull the boat toward the anchor.  Always in spurts, never continuous.  Never a problem (so far)
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,535 mod
    Me too.  But if the wind is up, I won't ask the windlass to do it alone.  
  • tmcelreatmcelrea Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Thank you for all of the replies. All great info. I'll pull the whole rode out and take a look at the bottom of the locker. There is definitely no ring on the backside of the trailer ring at the bow.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed if there is no tension on the rode it will slip up on the windless.so I as well will it pull the boat slightly but make sure its not working to hard.go by the sound.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct