Options

Battery life

I have a 2010 Rinker 310. I have installed an extra house battery but within an hour at anchor they run down. Firstly is this normal and if not what could be the cause? I have 2 fridges and the tv drawing power.

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @robinsnest, Yes you have used up the life of the batteries if they are original. 3-4 years is all we are getting out of them. Look on top of battrie to see if dates were punched out. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    You added a second house to the original from 2010?  Meaning one of the house batteries is six years old?  No doubt - replace them both.  You should go 8 hours easy -- longer if you temporarily raise the temperature settings in the fridges.
  • Options
    robinsnestrobinsnest Member Posts: 3
    Sorry guy's I should have said the battery's are new.
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    What size are the batts? group 24's, group 27's group 31's???
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Not normal IMO. I would first verify that they are charging completely. Then I would start checking to be sure nothing else is drawing power. You may have to do a load test also if the voltage is normal about 4 hours after charging is complete. You can also add up all your amps and check it against the amp hours on your batteries to see where you should be on time to discharge.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is bound to make me unpopular, here... and due to weight...

there are no true marine batteries left- there are instead hybrids that are both starting and supposed deep cell... the only deep cell batteries left are golf cart or industrial lift motor batteries, though the thin plates have made their way into that market too... leaving 8v golf cart batteries as the last remaining stronghold for true thick plate deep cell batteries capable of closing in on 1k charges from below 50% capacity.  

8v don't do you any good... but there are some 6v's that will, that can be had in 180hour ratings @20a and ran in series to give you 12v... 

you can do what you like, and the space you have dedicated to them will dictate much- but for a house battery separate from the starting bank, it's a no brainer to run two 6v's w/ 120+ hour ratings.  they will charge for years, and will take much longer to deplete than the current gaggle of pretend 'marine' batteries.  so long as you don't drop them below 50%, you'll use them for a long time... ANY battery, once drop below 50%, has a fuse of 'useful life' lit... most won't charge more than 100 times afterward.. 

if you run a microwave or toaster, blender or air conditioning off that battery, one that isn't a true deep cell, you're depleting it with a quickness- the thin plates are intended to provide a steady high amperage for a short duration and charge quicker afterward off the alternator.... they can't handle steady loads. 
  • Options
    rowboat.....just for clarification.....I've got 3 group 31's rated at 115AH's each. Are you saying I'd get better/longer life running two 6v's @210 AH's each?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    You said 31's, which indicates 12v... because you're running 3 in parallel, and not manipulating the voltage, in theory you add the hours together for overall amphours.  That would be 345.  

The 6v's you'd be running in series to double voltage, which means the amp hours stay the same.  So.... 210 total.  

In theory, the 31's would last longer.... but the truth is the 6v can be had as a true deep cell, which will tolerate deep discharge a lot more than the 31's, which just aren't up to the task... they're awesome for short duration high amp loads, but not at all for steady long pulls... 

So... lets say you go out this weekend.. the 31's as you have them will last longer in theory.  The 6v bank will last 2/3 the time.  Let's say you do this every weekend over the season... the 31's will be replaced no later than every two years... the 6v bank, you can expect five years from...

Cost wise, the 6v are marginally more up front.  Theyll catch and surpass the 31's in two years without question.   They will survive the rigors of house use mucho better than the hybrid 31's...  
  • Options
    By the way, for the room 3 31's take up, you can have four 6v, which are taller by an inch or so, but should provide two seriesed and one parallel for 12v, and grant you at least 420 or so true amp hours... blowing the banked 31's out of the water in both weekend use and life expectancy. 
  • Options
    Thanx for the info......been thinking of going the 6v route for a while. If I did, I would certainly go the four 6v route. Certainly something to think about for next season.

Sorry robinsnest for taking this off your OP.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AGM. Wire as we have discussed. 3 series 31 AGMs will provide double the AHs of their mathematical addition. Thin plate AGMs by far the best. Not going to post another 300 word essay on it. Our original discussions of are still accurate.