Options

Generator

russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
I'm thinking about the possibility of having my Honda 2000 EU Generator  permanently fixed down in the bilge with obviously an exhaust port of sorts through to the back underside of the bow below the swim platform.  It would be going along side the engine on my 270 Fiesta Vee. 
 Obviously I am concerned about safety primarily but seeing as the boat has blowers down in the bilge/engine compartment  and would be exhausted  from a safe place I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions or concerns that I have not thought about?

I do not like the idea of running the generator on the swim platform for many reasons but mainly carbon monoxide poisoning problems. 

Any feedback most welcome 

Russ

Comments

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    There is a lot of discussion on this subject on this site and I don't ever recall someone supporting the operation of a non-marine generator in an engine compartment even if you run the exhaust out of the hull. I have had both the 270 and the EU2000 and never had an issue running it on the platform (make sure your CO detector is good) or a separate float platform tied to the boat. I would be concerned of heat, CO, fuel fumes and leaks as well as refueling the gen in an enclosed compartment. Safety first! Good luck with whatever you do.    -Paul
  • Options
    russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Thanks for your input Paul. Yeah I've seen various discussions. I'd defiantly get a pro company to install with a safety cert if I go that way. 
    cheers

Russ
  • Options
    ItzkenItzken Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    non marine gen set won't be spark arrested?  It will have a non spark arrested charging system and starter.  Don't. 
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I believe you can get away with a non Coast Guard approved portable generator on board only because it is portable, and therefore does not need to certified. I believe once it is mounted it is subject to inspection. I may be wrong, but then I'm married, so i am used to being wrong!!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @frenchship had a sweet set up.  I am eventually going to do my own.  Here is the link:

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/48022#Comment_48022

Im no expert but I wouldnt fix a non marine anything to my boat, not worth it.  Follow what Frenchship did and I think you will be pleased.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    glad you like my setup, work really well, even with the A/C on the battery charger is still on and both fridge run on the generator. Pretty good for a 2000 Honda generator. I also agreed with that I wouldn't not install that type of generator in the engine room first for security, second you would need to open the engine hatch to start it, no electric starter on this model.
    Paul
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    If bolting a portable generator into the engine room was safe, every boat manufacturer in the world would already be doing it.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use mine in the engine room, but I store it there. It is strapped down and I pull it out when I want to use it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Around here, I have seen people secure them to the bow as well, using the bow rail and a couple straps.  Lots of airflow across the bow, no CO2 worries.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I have seen them permanently mounted in the area under the cockpit sink and then using a water pump and proper plumbing, routed water thru cooling the exhaust.  If done correctly (which I've seen), it will work well.  I agree not to mount in the engine room.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    If you do not have a coast guard AND insurance approved MARINE installation you will not have insurance coverage and, imo, that could be the least of your worries. They are called portable generators for a reason.