paint sides of our 40' rinker

our boat has black sides which are now very dull its a 2007 and we had it professional wax buffed and didn't last ...so we want to paint it the beige color rinker have ...anybody done this?

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DirtyThirty has done this and it turned out great. Expensive also. If you do this be sure to use Awlgrip paint
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Why not wrap it? Very inexpensive when compared to painting
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dirtythirty painted his and he is very happy with it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's going to get dinged up either way..I'd do it the cheapest with good repair ability.
  • DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    marden:  let me know if you would be interested in hearing from me re: this.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi marden. I have a black 2006 and I feel your pain. I've been researching and I think that I may do the Poliglow treatment this spring. There is a black 2007 Rinker in our marina that has perfect black Gelcoat and it really is a great looking boat so I've got inspiration to get mine back to shining. I dont know how he's done it, have not yet met him, but I'm guessing it was storred indoors for a while. Anyway search the Rinker site as DanD2 did the Poliglow treatment and it looks pretty nice. Looking forward to his results this fall. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    My 2007 246 with black is stupid. I've spent more time washing, waxing, and buffing it than riding in it and it still looks like crap two weeks later sitting in my driveway.   If I knew then what I know now I would NEVER have gotten black!!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @elarson5757, I have a navy blue hull. I agree that if I would have known how much time it takes to keep her looking great, I would have gotten a white or tan hull.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    edited August 2016
    @elarson5757, I have a navy blue hull. I agree that if I would have known how much time it takes to keep her looking great, I would have gotten a white or tan hull.
    I wish I could get it to the point of looking good frankly for any extended period of time. My glossy shine is measured in weeks...maybe 4-5 tops.  

I'm starting to get to the point where I consider giving up and wrapping it. 
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Why is paint so much better than colored  gelcoat?  
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    I went from my 246CC to a Formula with blue Imron sides. The paint is awesome and very easy to keep clean. My 246 was clean but after 7 years you could see it start to fade a bit. I would hit it every spring with Buffmagic and it would snap back.
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Awl grip is awesome but spendy. I got quotes over 12k for my 360. 
    I wrapped mine for 2300 and I am very impressed. It looks beautiful and i am not just saying that because it's my kid. 
  • wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

craigswardmtb, that hull looks great! I have a 320 with black hull sides, which is a tremendous amount of wheeling and waxing to keep it looking decent. I live in Michigan and got a couple of quotes for wrapping the hull, but both quotes came in at 5K. If I thought I could get a quality wrap for $2500 - $3,000 I'd do it in a heartbeat.

This guy was good and does lots of boats. He uses Avery or 3m product. Both top of the line with 10 year warranties. I chose Avery as 3m has had some quality issues as of late with their wraps. Good luck in your search. 
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    @elarson5757, sounds like we have the same boat -'07 246, 350 MAG MPI, Black hull sides. Mine still looks great and with out any real HUGE effort, just the usual wax x2 per season. I do keep it on the trailer and every time we retrieve, while still at the tie down area, I fill a bucket with fresh water & use a car wash style brush to go over the hull, then a synthetic chamois to eliminate spots. I am lucky in that I have a commercial building and I keep the boat inside, so UV exposure is minimized, plus A/C in the summer & heat in winter, so no temp extremes. I have a pit drain, so I can put on the muffs & run inside if necessary. I usually go over it with Ducky Waterspot Remover when we get back from wherever. 
    @Glassguy54 sounds like we have twins!  We do the exact same thing by wiping down and drying immediately, I waxed it three time so far since May when it was buffed.  BUT mine has to sit outside..a shame. 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig, your boat looks great. Is there any maintenance to the wrap other then a decent wash? I assume you dont need to wax or protect it? Also how does it hold up against fenders and small scratches? is there a way to cover it if you do get a chip or scratch? Thanks!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Hate to keep chiming in, but  I would like to offer my opinion.  The paint on my sides was a 3 step process. They scuffed the burgundy gel coat prior to a primer coat.  Then 3 coats of epoxy enamel in 1971 GM (Cadillac) Firethorn Red metallic, with wet sanding between coats, then a final clear coat on top .   The epoxy enamel is more durable than laquer paint and is easier to match should I ever need a touch up. Knock wood, this is the end of my 2nd season and it is as flawless as the day it came out of the paint shop.  A hand coat of carnuba wax twice a season is all it needs to keep its luster.
    My paint job cost me $6800.00 and in my opinion it was worth every dime.  
    Pics on request.
    Dirty - That's a great deal on your paint job. I may have done that if I could have found a deal like that. 
    Liberty - it has been durable so far. We have a small slip and in turn have a fleece covered bumper rubbing at all times. There is no wear so far. I did get whacked by a dinghy and its metal oar lock knicked/scratched it. I sealed it with 3m adhesive that was used to seal the water line edges during install. It could be easily patched. The seams would be noticeable if you looked real close but not from a couple feet out. I won't likely patch because it's barely noticeable as is and is no different than a scratch in your gel coat that would visible from this kind of impact. 
    So far so good. 
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry but I don't care if the hull is white or black.
    they all require seasonal pm like waxing and polishing.
    years ago when I had my trailer boat it made it easier to maintain. You can wipe her down, wax anytime etc.
    cruiser boats that sit in the water require extra steps each fall and spring.
    fall time here in mi I will wash the boat after she is blocked.
    early spring starts with another wash
     3m 3 step process
    compound
    wax
    seal
    wash thru out the season and touch up the top side of needed since it does get beat up in the sun.
    now what people don't get are deep colors like blue , black and red or yellow.
    if not prepped or washed and Maintained they will require extra step each spring. That is wet sanding.
    one of my friends details boats for a living.
    he can compound and bring back any color or finish. 
    Let me tell you if you don't maintain your finish it doesn't matter if it's gel or paint. End result will be the same. Dull looking boat.
  • mardenmarden Member Posts: 5
    I like the wrapping idea thanks for all your input ...