Options

What were the original gas struts for the engine hatch/sunpad on a 1999 182 Captiva ?

djbdjb Member Posts: 3
I have a 1999 Rinker 182 Captiva. The previous owner took off the gas lifts on the hatch cover/sun pad. I want to replace them and no one seems to know or have any information as to make, size , lift, etc. including Rinker themselves. If someone has a similar boat could they check what is on their boat and let me know the details, i.e., manufacturer, part number, etc. Much appreciated djb

Answers

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stablis is the big guy making these.  Auto part stores could help, you just need to know the extended length required and the lbs-force to lift.  A fish scale holding open the hatch will tell you the weight you need to know then divide by 2 to get the per strut value needed.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Black Diamond Thank you for responding and your suggestion . My first preference would be someone with a similar boat checking what is on their boat and let me know the details, i.e., manufacturer, part number, etc., however, if that doesn't happen then your suggestion is my back up.. Thanks again. 
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Hey djb...these were rated for 70 lbs according to Randy. He suggests taking one off and taking to Napa or another auto parts store to match. 
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited May 2013
    Hey djb...these were rated for 70 lbs according to Randy. He suggests taking one off and taking to Napa or another auto parts store to match. 
    I believe the OP didn't have any at all.

If you can get your hands on a McMaster-Carr catalog,  they have tons of gas struts available along with great engineering data to help choose the right one.

You can also check out asraymond.com for gas struts.   They supply many manufacturers and you can buy direct. I also think iboats.com carry lots too. 

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mounting holes must still be visible. You can get a reasonable length measurement of the closed position, that's the number you need plus the force.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    The mounting holes must still be visible. You can get a reasonable length measurement of the closed position, that's the number you need plus the force.
    Good point!   You should be able to get pretty close. 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Thanks all for your assistance and ideas, I think I have enough information to buy replacements and get rid of the old broom handle, cheap, but not very good looking. djb.