Riding on the bow with legs hanging over the side? Seriously?

2»

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    Let's just clarify.  You cannot ride on the foredeck of a cruiser or cuddy that has no built-in seating, like this one:

But you can ride in the front seats of a bow-rider that permanent seats in the bow, like this:

And, more importantly -- under no circumstances can you ride with your feet hanging over the bow of any boat.  
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea , you are correct. My point was at one time in PA, you could ride on the front of a cruiser or cuddy if it had a full rail. You are no longer permitted to do so. My old cuddy had a full rail like a cruiser would have. I got pulled over by the fish cops with my wife(at the time, now ex-wife) sitting on the sun deck, with feet/legs in the cockpit. They told me that she wasn't allowed to ride there because of falling off and getting hit by the prop. I was a younger, less experienced boater when this happened. I asked the officer if she was allowed to ride on the bow and they told me yes. I thought that it was worse to ride up top due to falling overboard or being flipped into the cockpit after crossing a large wake. They have since changed the law in PA and you are no longer to allowed to ride up top on a cuddy or cruiser going fast.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use chum to fish, go right ahead and let them hang over the bow; fall off and you’ll be mincemeat.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • BizmarkBizmark Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Thanks for this post. Makes great sense and always made my nervous but I gave in anyway. What an idiot I've been. No More and No means No.