Options

I GUESS SOME PEOPLE JUST NEED TO HATE

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
I am always dreaming about my next boat, hence the name of my current boat "DREAMER". Started with an old Chrysler 14ft, then a 19ft Searay cuddy, now a FV242. Thinking about the next one and Googled Rinker 270 reviews, and found a forum called the hull truth. There was some issues posted with earlier 270 swim platform being too low and making it difficult to plane off. I cannot believe some of the negative and down right rude comments, like "thats what you get for buying a Rinker" or "why would you but a Rinker". The heart of any boat is the propulsion, which is usually Mercruiser, or Volvo Penta, weather it is a Bayliner, Rinker, Searay, Colbolt, ect. Sure some hulls may be designed for a little more speed, or to handle rough water a little better, but very few people will ever need or want to push their hull design to the limit. I guess some people just need to hate. 

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @jhofmann - I think I might know the exact thread you are talking about. Mine is a 2002 and I'm not sure if I have the model where the platform was supposedly too low....I have never had an issue with it....in fact the platform is one of my favorite features on the boat.

IMO people get caught up with certain brands and think everything else is garbage without having any experience.  Happens in boats...happens in life.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    If you were driving behind that guy's car, you'd see a picture of a little kid pissing on the logo of some other brand of car.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    If you were driving behind that guy's car, you'd see a picture of a little kid pissing on the logo of some other brand of car.  
    LoL! Very true!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Very well put @jhofmann & @skennelly!
     My opinion- is it has all to do with your expierence with the boat you own. I believe a boat builder should back their product If there is a pattern of problems with a boat design even if the boat has aged a bit to help protect their reputation . I had purchased a 1993 Bayliner 3055 Ciera w/single 330hp 7.4 Bravo2 in 1995. I had been all over lake Michigan with her and absolutely loved her for 21 GREAT boating years. I would still have her today if I did not meet MT and his Admiral on this forum. I am now the proud and super happy owner of a gorgeous 2014 360EC and my previous Bayliner is moored in the slip next to me and my Nephew is the super happy proud owner of her. I can definitely understand people having horrific expierences, financial and emotional  with a boat and then labeling the entire brand as garbage. I know an individual who had an awful time owning a Carver and swore against that brand forever. I truly feel bad for people who spend so much money and time to have an end result of owning a Floating Hot Money Pit Mess! I also still get caught up looking through boating magazines and Marinas being the "DREAMER" of the next upgrade. I have more boat now than I have ever thought possible and each time I start her up and head out on the water there is always a concern in the back of my head that something may break down, but it will not turn me on the Rinker Brand(they are solid beutiful vessels)
    I know people bash Bayliner but she was the best boat anyone could hope for and now she is being enjoyed by another and for that reason I stand by that brand also.
    Before & After pics below.
    HAPPY AND HEALTHY BOATING TO ALL!
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I saw that HT thread before buying my 270.  As I understand it, boats built in 2001 and 2002 have the lower swim platform.  My boat was built in 2002 but sold as a 2003 model.  So my boat has the lower platform. I was concerned when I test drove my boat but didn't find it to be a problem then nor have I found it to be a problem after 2+ years of use. 

My last boat was a 2001 Sea Ray Sundeck (open bow deck boat).   I had 4 wonderful seasons on that boat.   It was a great day boat.  Following my good experience with Sea Ray I looked at that brand for my first cruiser.  I wanted to like the Sundancers but I could not find the mix of features I desired.  I have found very little difference in fit, finish, and durability between my Sea Ray and Rinker.  

I believe proper care and maintenance has a bigger impact on performance longevity than brand in most cases. 

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if a lot of the negativity against any brand may be on account of some people being penny wise and dollar foolish and buy a bargain basement boat trying to save money and then discover that boat, or car, or house, or whatever, was previously owned by someone who was woefully neglectful and just didn't do the routine work that anything must have in order to perform properly?
  • Options
    I agree that any boat properly maintained will be a better boat than one that has not regardless of make or cost.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    If I remember correctly a few years ago on the old site there was a guy by the name of "No Gin" or something like that and he did a number on Rinker because of his 270 swim platform hitting the water. My 342 platform hits the water but never ever a problem. You are right some people just love to hate............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Same guy.  If only he had realized:  the boat has these things called "trim tabs" that provide extra lift at the stern when getting on plane.  But no, his response is just to go online and do some trash-talking.
  • Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I am the  proud owner of a 270 2006 and water gets on the  swim platform when I come to a stop but not  à problem.  No problème to get on plane
  • Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Other brand  have Nice boats but my heart is with the  Rinker family
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Same guy.  If only he had realized:  the boat has these things called "trim tabs" that provide extra lift at the stern when getting on plane.  But no, his response is just to go online and do some trash-talking.
    Yeah he was a piece of work. His thread lasted a whole summer. Got to be very annoying.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    As I remember it, he had a personal set back in his family life that took him out of boating.  I felt bad for him.  I was hoping to meet him.  I thought it would be likely since some of his photos's showed his boat at one of the marine accessible restaurants that we drove to once in a while.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jhofmann, I had read that same post after buying my 2003 270, When I was searching the answer's to better plane time, that's when I found the Rinker forum. The swim platform is too low. and when I have whole family on board (9) and my son is big as well as his wife, its completely in the water. at 1800 rpm. But I do not think it hamper's your ability to get on plane as he stated. with normal load of 4 people.  Because once you hit the throttle, tabs down, drive in, the rear starts coming up, and platform come's out of the water, pretty quick.   I love my Rinker, and the big swim platform. just wish it was higher, I'm not sure but I think they corrected it in late 2003, or 2004.
    The answer to better plane time is prop. Not flipping tabs over, not hydrofoil, not tucking drive inward to the most inward position, moving fat guy to front (it helps). But after your are on plane fat guy can move about anywhere he wants. Oh! fat guy is my son 250+. 
    After going to 4 blade in front, that was the most noticeable change for the better. I can now pull water skier. HA! with 3 on board. When you move from a 24-26 ft boat to a cruiser, its not going to preform the same. (expectations) But you have all the comforts, shame you live so far away, we would take her for a 50 mile ride and you can drive. 
    Good Luck!

@bry1429, Looking good.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    On HT, he wanted Rinker to pay for "upgrading" his 8-year-old second-hand boat.  When Rinker instead offered to sell him a kit to raise the swim platform, he went ballistic.  

I don't know him personally, but usually when people post stuff like that, it's not their only online tantrum.  If you could somehow find everything that guy has ever posted on the web, you'd probably see similar complaints with Home Depot, Ford, and every other place where he has made a major purchase.

Like @jhofmann said, haters gotta hate.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Right on!!
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Much nicer then the U.S.S. BUCHANAN DDG-14, an old Adams class destroyer I served on!
  • Options
    As I remember it, he had a personal set back in his family life that took him out of boating.  I felt bad for him.  I was hoping to meet him.  I thought it would be likely since some of his photos's showed his boat at one of the marine accessible restaurants that we drove to once in a while.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
    Tony his personal set back was he was working a car (or pick-up truck) and it fell off the jack on top of him. He did not get seriously hurt. But he was relentless with his rant about Rinker and how much he hated his swim platform. It got old real fast.  
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    searay hates bayliner, heck everyone hates bayliner, bayliner hates cobalt,  glastron hates searay, basically if its not the brand the jerk owns they will hate it. Heck the boat us magazine propagates this with a full page ad that reads something like You know you secretly judge others by the boat brand they have. Its the old chevy vs ford. In regards to the Searay vs bayliner, I always laugh because 1 Ive owned both and 2, both companies are owned by Brunswick and even share the same hull on some models. 
    Haters Gonna Hate
    I had a bit of a legal problem and needed cash NOW a few years ago so I was going to sell Catch-22 (1995 fv 265), a guy came over to look and his first statement was " you know Rinker is a sinker"  My reply was "you can leave now, the boats not for sale"
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    The brand thing is always funny.  I believe any size and brand boat can get you out there and have just as much fun as everyone else.  I certainly remember No Gin as well.  There's always that 1 percent!  (right Handy??  :) - Just kiddin', I've been away too long!)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express