Options

Eratic gauges, fridge, etc.

darrendarren Member Posts: 26
I recently bought a 1995 rinker 265 fiesta vee with the big block 454, already had to replace the coupler, it ate the forward throttle cable, huge mess, but after they put the motor back in, now the transom blower doesn't work, rear bilge doesn't work, I pointed this out to the mechanic as he was putting me in the water, there were no wires loose, was just in a hurry to get back on the water, but now, the fuel gauge no longer works, fridge is erratic also. I'm not tripping any breakers or blowing any fuses, anyone have any ideas? The mechanic did say the wiring in the boat was a mess, alll different colored wires mixed together, etc.

Answers

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Well when wires were reconnected he probably mixed them up. That's assuming everything was working prior to repair.
    all you need is a either a test light which I prefer specially when working by myself or volt meter.
    you need to start testing each circuit to figure what's what. Turn bilge switch on and start looking for power and ground.
    then connect pump to it. Proceed same way with all other wiring issues.
    is your fridge 12 and 110 and if so which side has issues.
    Post edited by zaverin1 on
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor grounds also result in erratic performance.
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    The fridge and bilge wires as well as the fuel gauge wires are all right below the harmonic balancer area .    He/ they probably stepped on them when the engine was coming out or going in.   Beer and a test light.   Lay on the engine and reach down under the harmonic balancer and feel for loose wires.   When you find them test for what they are. I have the same boat and had the same problem
  • Options
    darrendarren Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the replies, just now seeing them. Another question, is there any way to replace my searchlight bulb with an led bulb on a 19995 265 fiesta vee?