Options

Mounting Magma Grill

rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
I have a 2000 340 and plan to mount a Magma grill receptical near the starboard rear cleat. I have to drill a 1.125 hole with a hole saw. I've read about rotating the bit in reverse to score the gelcoat before drilling the hole for real. Any other tips or suggestions? New to boating.... My last boat was 1969 16' Mark Twain, and that was about 30 years ago. Thanks for any help!

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Comments

• Options
    cettialpha6cettialpha6 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭

Got tired of grill being unstable so i modified the grill to use with table support pole. Much better now and no boat drilling.

my wife loves it

Art

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magma also makes mount that is very stable and does not require drilling a hole for the post. You will have to drill a number of screw holes and fill them with sikaflex or 3M but that's way easier and less prone to water infiltration into your fibreglass. West Marine sells the Magma mounts and I think Overtons does too. I have one and it works really well. Good luck with your install.
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Another option for your consideration is using the bumper rail.  I leave two at the dock anyways, so I attached to it.  Very sturdy underway.  They make several options for this, with extensions or not.  I liked mine tight to the stern, without interfering with the swim platform.  No issues with instability or heat to the fiberglass, though I would never grill with the stern curtain up.  Good luck on your decision...and remember to post pictures during and after.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    gslpro - do you get much grease or mess with it being mounted on the rail?  I was trying to get it positioned closer to overboard to minimize the mess.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Only slightly off topic here but close enough, so here goes.

When I set my grill up, mounting it in a fish rod holder which is in turn mounted on the vertical hand hold on the transom, I take one of the boat's fire extinguishers and stick in into the cup holder most convenient to the grill.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    If you really need to drill the hole, get a piece of 1/8" thick plexiglass about 3" square and drill a hole the size you need with the hole saw in this plexiglass first. cover the area to be drilled on the boat with masking tape, then position the plexiglass on the taped area and secure with more tape. This plexiglass hole guide should prevent the hole saw from wandering, and will also shield the gel coat from any marring.
  • Options
    john744john744 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

Debated on where to put mine for days....  Finally purchased the Magma post mount and mounted it centered on the back edge of the swim platform.  Very stable, screws in and locks in place.  Thought I might trip or stub a toe on it being on the swim platform but it's work out great there.

Cettialph6 posted a photo using existing table mout. Looks sturdy & convenient.  Just beware, propane is heavier than air and any leakes may settle into the boat and find it's way to the engine bilge.

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    RMRSTILMO - No, I have never had any grease at all drip down.  The chefsmate grill has a slide out tray that catches any grease.  That is still clean and shiny, so I am not sure where any of my grease is going, but if you have anything that is real drippy, I have heard of placing those absorbent pads from a meat package like in a grocery store, but I would be more worried about the heat catching that material on fire.  The reason I placed it on the rail is I wanted a placement that allowed me to leave it while underway.  The pole mount, while good looking, can not be used that way...for long.  Too much stress on a long pole like that.  Failure is around the next wave.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Finally had chance to install my grill. I went with the location that I originally planned because I had already order the mounting hardware. I scored the large hole by running the hole saw in reverse first. It worked well. Access through the transom shower helped a bunch. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Nice Setup rmrstimo

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Thanks. Grilled for the first time last night. Having the sink and counter close by worked out really well.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice setup.

I put mine on my forward bow rub rail.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"