11 days of many “firsts”

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Well, as many of you know, we just came back from our 11 day trip.  We had two other boats (2007 Rinker 400 & a 2006 Rinker 390) go along with us. 

We left on Thursday hoping we’d get to Rock Hall early enough to tie up to the city dock (basically a wall with pilings).  There was some wind forecasted for the entire weekend out of the south, but nothing more than 10kts.  The harbor area in Rock Hall is basically a circle with a little less than half being a break wall and about a 150 ft wide entrance on the south.  When we arrived, there was plenty of room for the 3 of us along the wall.  We even found some electric that we could plug into (which was great cause it was going to be a hot weekend).  The wind was pushing us to the wall, but was not bad at all.  We had the 390 tie along one boat and the two 400s stern to stern.  Later in the evening, we decided it was best to move the 390 off to a separate place along the wall. 

Well, here is where the trip began with a bang.  After going to bed a bit after midnight, I couldn’t get to sleep with all the rockin.  Finally I decided it would be calmer on the floor in the galley.  Just as I was comfortable, bang!  I could tell the boat was against the piling without the fender there.  It was about 2:30am and when I jumped to shore, all the other captains were on shore watching and tending fenders between their boat and shore.  Well, it rocked so much that you could actually see the bottom side of the boat!!  Rocking so much for so long and literally sliding fenders back in every 10 seconds or so was a definite first!!

Long story short, at sunrise we got off the wall (wind still going) and anchored in the harbor.  We had several more boats tie up with us and really enjoyed the weekend.  Even got to meet some new people in a Rinker 360 that tied up with us (they came along, was a Rinker, and we yelled to come anchor with us – I also told them about the forum).

Another first…we made a pirate ship out of 2 dinghies.  We had a full mast with a flag and out the mast was our own water cannon!  Sure was a ton of fun! 

For those that had never been, Pirates & Wenches is a great event that the entire town participates in.  & best of all, my father (who I hadn’t seen in 4 years) and his wife were with us from Thursday thru Sunday (yes, they were in the rockin as well).  Sure was good!

Oh, another big first!  When we anchored in the harbor that Friday, I started my generator and ran it until Sunday!!  I’d never ran my genny overnight cause I felt I never needed to and didn’t want to waste the fuel or be concerned.  Well, it was very hot and with my father sleeping in the aft, it sure worked well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

So, did I lose many of you yet??

Sunday night, it was back to just the 3 boats.   We anchored in Still Pond creek (yep, right near where we have Rinkervous).  We had our stern facing the west and a sand bar behind us with a small breakwall behind that.  Had my stern anchor out (on the beach) and my bow anchor out as well.  Had another smaller stern out on the other 400.  Well, you guessed it.  A huge storm came at us from the west.  Holy Crap!!  Went for a little over 45 minutes.  Wind gusts recorded over 70mph!  My stern held the 3 of us (other one let loose) the entire time!  Luckily the sand bar and breakwall were keeping the 3-4 ft waves out, but that wind was just crazy and right at our stern.  When all was done, I went and checked the stern.  It had moved 8-10 feet in the sand bar!  Very lucky we stayed put!  We were ready with our bow anchors if it had let loose and we swung.  Riding all 3 boats on just my stern thru 70mph gusts was another first!

The next few nights we were in a marina on the Bohemia - Bohemia Bay Marina (supposed to be 2 nights, but a 3rd was really nice).   I’ve got a few great sunset shots (actually some from almost every night, and man some were just beautiful!)

That Thursday (last Thursday), we rode up the Sassafras river.  Was a beautiful day!  We had just gotten some fuel (surprising, running the generator for 3 full days and part of another, I used maybe 35 gallons!  That was basically under a good load with 2 air conditioners going).  So, 2 of the boats (both 400 gas boats – 390 was diesel) were close to full fuel, completely full water, really smooth water….know where this one is going??...well, it was going 44mph!!!  Not just my boat, but the other 400 right behind me too!!  (yes, for a brief time we left the diesel a bit behind)  Another First??  Well, it certainly was for the 2 of us together!  This was GPS time.  I was enjoying it too much to get a picture!

So that night we had the 3 of us and another forum member (342) raft up in the Sassafras.  What a beautiful river!  0% chance of rain, so the spot was a bit more open but we were ok?  Dang, another storm came up quickly and luckily this time we were all on just my bow so we swung with the wind.  (having other anchors down and ready to let out if we slipped).  

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the storm on Sunday had blown down a covered shed on this river that night.

Rest of weekend was in a marina enjoying our last few days of the trip!  Was eventful, but a lot of fun as well!  Thanks for reading!!

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you were never paying any attention to radar. Just sayin
    Dream, I know Rinker used Volvo diesels on some of the 400s with the pods but do you know what drives they used on the 390s and 400s with the Cummins???
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!  Eleven days -- what a great trip!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing you guys are seasoned boater's it would have been a different story.
    Dad on your boat for a few days nice memories.
    Boat Name : 

Handy, the drives on the 390 are Volvo.  & yes, we were paying attention to radar (LOL, I design/test radar every day).  Not a whole lot you can do except buckle down when it's coming.  Just didn't expect the extremely high winds the one day.  But hey, all was fine.  & this week looks beautiful!  Wish I could be out again right now!

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great time DI! I am hoping to do an extended trip of some sort next summer with a couple days of staying on the hook~!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
    What about 400s with Cummins? Isn't there one on your slip?
    edited August 2016

The 390 is basically the same boat Handy, just a different swim platform and a little config change in salon.

Randy, you are so correct with both statements.  The two other boaters were so thankful for the good placement of anchors and long amount of rode out.  I'm sometimes a bit anal about driving in my anchor and putting a good 10-1 rode (or more).  I've also been using that prusik knot I learned on this forum everytime I'm out!  & as far as having my father out, it sure was wonderful!  Something I'll never forget!  It was even my birthday on one of those days!  (& I got two hand-me down gifts that were the tearful kind).

@jme, we do two 10-11 day trips a year and absolutely wouldn't change a thing.  Been doing them now for 16 years.  Our June trip is always south and usually more in marinas and our August one is typically north with more anchoring.  It all started with just buying a cruising guide for the Chesapeake and it had a couple different trip planners for ideas.

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    What a great time it sounds like you guys had.  Glad to see i'm not the only crazy that goes out for 11 days each summer.  I may have to write a report as you did.  
    I think our trips overlapped as you started yours.  We got back on the 14th.  We were under anchor starting the 10th which coincided with the humidity that i'm sure you guys had at the beginning of your trip.  I debated on running the genny all night but i was nervous about carbon monoxide.  If i had more than one detector on my boat i probably would have done it.
    We take off to Block Island for another 8 days on Friday.  However i'm working from the anchorage Tuesday thru Thursday.  Hot spots, what a great invention....
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    DI sounds like an awesome time. Plus I know the storms could get a little scary but they leave pretty good memories (as long as everyone is ok) and a good topic of conversation. Glad all went well and you had a great time. Totally awesified (made up word from Raybonics...lol).......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Craig, everyone on here is a bit crazy!  I'd so most people on here have done a week or more at a time on their boat and would do longer if things would allow.  I'd love to read your report as well.  As far as carbon monoxide, I have two built in and then an additional one that runs 24/7 off of its internal battery that has a digital reading.  I move that one into the cockpit while cruising and in the aft cabin or galley at night.  I'd highly recommend buying one of the digital readout ones. They run about 40 bucks and do work.

Raybo, the storms definitely leave good memories and help you learn more for the next time.  We've been thru many of them over the years and luckily all ok stories to talk about.  Oh, I may have to borrow the "awesified"! :)

• chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn sounds like a great time! Good company and some experiences you will remember. Dealing with the wind and the weather is part of boating, all in all the Pirates and everything else sounds like an awesome time to me. Thanks for sharing it!