Options

Winterizing

vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
Hi all, 

I hate to bring this up, but it is time for me to start to think about how I am going to winterize the boat. 

I have recently purchase a 2002 342FV with 6.2 Bravo III's. I had a 242FV that was on a trailer, so when it was that time to lay it up for the winter, I would pull it over to the local marina & they would do all what is needed & all of the preventative maintenance. Then they would call & I would pull it back to the storage lot & cover it with tarps.

So now, I am no longer a trailer boater, things are going to be a little different. My options at my marina (Venetian in Sandusky, OH) are as follows:

1. Cold outdoor storage, everything is ala carte, i.e. powerwash bottom, engines, water systems, pull the batteries stands, plastic wrap.

2. Cold indoor storage, same as above except, do not need to wrap.

3. Heated indoor storage, price includes everything, you tell them to pull the boat, they drain the water system, stabilize the fuel, powerwash the bottom, put it on jacks.

My question is, what does everyone else do, pro's & con's.
Cold outdoor is the cheapest, cold indoor is not much more, heated indoor is the most expensive

Thanks  in advance       

2002 342 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if the heat failed?
  • Options
    1st question I asked, they have back-up power, never had an issue. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    I would have to see the cost difference between heated and cold indoor. Will they let you work on your boat while inside?
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I had a Sea Ray Sundeck on a trailer and for the first 2 years of ownership I kept it in a heated garage (I winterized anyway).  The owner used the garage mostly to rent to classic car owners and for some of his own vehicles but had some unused space.  He charged me about $300 for 6 months Nov-Apr (yes, $50 per month).  It was awesome.  I was almost worried that the boat was too dry.  Sadly, he sold the garage and I had to go with marina storage.  I stored in on a rack one year and on the trailer in the building with the boat racks another.  That was a cheaper option by far than storing it on a trailer outside at a marina and shrink wrapping.  
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I would say cold covered
    thats what i do
    makes working on the boat in the off season a breeze.
    come spring u can detail and clean in any weather.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, this is my first winter with a boat that I can't trailer home and I am going cold indoor. As you noted it is much, much cheaper than heated and very little more than outdoor with shrink wrap. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thanks for the replies, as good as it sounds to have it heated indoors, it looks to be about $800 more. I think i am leaning to go cold indoors.  The marina is having an early bird sign up this weekend, so I will get actual prices for everything.  Another question, is there any concern for condensation on inside storage.   
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    Not in the cold
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, even cold inside strage will cause rust in the engine bay and mldeww in the cockpit and cabin. This happens with temperature swings in the Spring. Use Damprid or similar product in all areas.
  • Options
    BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    I bought mine cruiser last year and did my own winterizing after viewing these YouTube views.  It was really easy.  https://www.youtube.com/user/liboatersclub
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what are you going to do @Handymans342 for the winter? Ready to start poking at them yet or is it to soon?

• Options
    Im just worried about this possible hurricane Ras
  • Options
    .....and the season is here!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, all kidding aside, you need to have a real solid plan...no idea what that would be. If you have gotten to know the area, upper and lower captiva used to be captiva! During Charlie, upper captiva was under3' of water, no idea what the storm surge was inland. We did not consider anything we could not haul. I'm 45 miles inland and kind of a high area for this area. Our threats are more tornado. We had est 135 out of 3 hurricanes within 6 weeks. Sure got tired of putting my fence back up. This is the active time of year.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

That is really great rates Al!  I'm sure you will keep the new buildings full.  I remember the days growing up in Ohio where I'd go with my neighbor to take their boat to the old mines (I believe old coal mines).  Amazing all the different things people would store down in there for the winter.  It was either dirt cheap or close to free.

What was funny was, their boat was a 1986 24' Sea Ray...being hauled by a 1977 Cadillac.  He had the equalizer hitch and electric brakes.  Sure was crazy looking back on that.

Handy/Ras, looks like something is going to come out of this storm.  Hope you all fair well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks Dream. It does not look like much now. Will know more tomorrow. 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @Alswagg, those are some really great prices, any chance you want to move to the lake erie area lol.

Here are the rates i have figured, not sure if theses are the actual prices or not, just an educated guess: 
    all options include haul out & launch

Outside storage: $17.95 per linear foot (34ft) $610
    Full winterization plus stands & blocks=  $890
    Shrink wrap= ?? by quote

Inside cold storage: $3.90 per square foot (34x12=408sqft) $1591
    Full winterization plus stands & blocks=  $890

Inside heated storage: $7.50 per square foot (34x12=408sqft) $3060

@Handymans342, is there anything you can do when the big storms come,
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Yes, I have large ratchet tie downs and the boat is secured in the lift. Vinyl cover has to come off top. No way we flood where I am. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Good luck guys...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Handy, my father was in the same area as you on a canal during Hurricane Charley. Not sure I'd say no way you could flood.  The boats that made out the best were the ones that tied off to both sides of the canal and floated with the surge.  My father had his tied to his lift, kept low, allowing the boat and cradle to float up and then back down when it was done.  His setup was very similar to yours and also removed his vinyl cover. Water didn't make it up to the house, but came over the canal walls into the yards.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The water level here never made it over my dock In Charley. It depends where you are in the cape. 
  • Options
    The news here in Fort Myers says there could be flood surges of over 20 feet given the category of hurricanes that visit this area. That would be brutal here...... You sure you're beyond reach Steve?
  • Options
    The flood surge is less where I am at and more at the beach. You should know that MT and it was nice meeting you. 
  • Options
    Steve the airport at Fort Myers indicated it was 2.5 feet above sea level. Not wishing you grief but you really think a Cat5 storm surge wouldn't reach you? Heck I think it would go half way across Florida!
  • Options
    Charley was a Cat 4. My house is 13 feet above sea level. I dont even need flood insurance. MT go for a walk on the beach with an umbrella and a golf club now!
  • Options
    MT, if you drive past 5100 Estero Blvd and look under the building the water only came up 4 feet in Charley
  • Options
    The Admiral won't let me have the car keys. We almost got t-boned by a red light runner s couple of days ago so now I'm walking everywhere. :-(