Options

Waste holding tank

i have a 2001 340 Fiesta Vee. The waste holding tank has suddenly buckled in the centre almost like the suction is too powerful when pumping out. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you have a vent but if the suction over powers it then sounds like your problem....may be fatal on the tank. You have to watch the tank while pumping.
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I had the same thing, created a hole in the center bottom, numerous fixes so far that haven't really worked.  I recently tried something new, holding so far.  Best bet, replace it.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like vent is clogged, not letting air to tank.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at "tank saver" it's very easy to install on most waste tanks to prevent pump out damage and act as a vacuum relief valve.....and it's not expensive. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I've installed what MT is talking about as well.  Good preventive measure.  I had just a small buckle in mine (nothing major) before I had installed the tank saver.  One of the places I get it pumped out just drawls it all out really fast (like 40 gallons in well under 2 minutes).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    There was a thread about this very issue on the old Rinker Boat Owners forum - too bad we were never able to port over all those discussions from the old forum to the new forum.
    Bottom line is that the vacuum suction will vary from pump out station to pump out station and this is not unique to Rinker - I've seen it happen on several other brands. I had the same issue and and in 2010, I installed:

http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/2130/holding-tank-vacuum-relief-valve

This has worked out really well and is super easy to install BUT you should continue to monitor your tank during pump-outs to make sure that the valve is sufficient for your tank. Even though the Big Orange has a vacuum breaker valve, it is undersized for the amount of air that needs to get drawn into a 40 gallon holding tank to ensure the tank does not start getting sucked in. Mine has a permanent dent in the top from this happening before someone on the old forum brought it up.
  • Options
    simcoesimcoe Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. Appreciate it. Simcoe
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How bad has it buckled? A few inches in the middle or a total collapse? As others say it's because your vent is insufficient to keep up with the vacuum. A vacuum breaker will prevent this in the future. Not sure how damaged the tank is now though. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Often the dock jockeys rev-up the vacuum stthe pump outs which can overwhelm your tank's ability to equalize. Having  Big O it Tank Saver vent will probably save your tank