Options

6.2 or 5.7?

duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
looking to re-power my 06 250ec that currently has a VP 5.7  MPI 280 hp. just looking for some ideas and thoughts from those that have been there. should i keep the 5.7 that i have now and rebuild to had some HP?  build the 5.7 up to a 6.2 to get the extra displacement? what adds the extra HP from what i have and a 350 mag with 300 HP? heads? cam? intake?  how much more HP can i put through my existing gear set with out upgrading my outdrive? do i have to reflash my ECM if i upgrade to a 6.2 or add more HP to my 5.7? all thoughts and idea appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have built two 350 Magnums into 383s. The 383's difference is faaaar more than just the HP it's the noticeable torgue difference and linear pull on the X/Y axis from idle to wot. The difference is very, very noticeable. Is it worth the money? .....only you can decide that.BTW....how long do you plan to keep the boat? BYW#2 I used an Alpha 1 for a year then up-graded it to a Bravo 1. The Alpha is probably near it's limit at 390 HP although I did have a drive shower on it and changed the gear lube half way through the season.
  • Options
    i feel the added HP and torque is well worth the money, not to mention the resale value with the 6.2 vs 5.7.  did you assembly your engines yourself?  did you have to reflash the ecm? i will be doing all the labor work myself but i'm debating on purchasing an engine ready to go or having a reputable builder assemble the longblock with my existing block and heads. as for my outdrive, i have the xdp. seems like this boat has one that has no bellows issues and it has operated great but not sure of the HP and torque rating.
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    I assume the drive is a sx-m? If so very tough, same drive behind BB, so your fine.  Yeah put a 6.2/383 in it. Although I haven't done it, I have heard there are several places around that can flash them. Why you changing it, is it getting tired?
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    I assume the drive is a sx-m? If so very tough, same drive behind BB, so your fine.  Yeah put a 6.2/383 in it. Although I haven't done it, I have heard there are several places around that can flash them. Why you changing it, is it getting tired?

the drive is an XDP_B 1.96 gear set. the 5.7 in it now has developed a knock so it gives me a good reason to re-power with a little more power. not looking to get radical, just want more.

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    :/ oh, have heard a lot bad about them.....not sure how strong they are.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    This is my personal opinion. I wouldn't put money into a repower without replacing the XDP drive. It is a failure waiting to happen.

Andy
  • Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
  • Options
    I had XDP with à 8.1 and turned it to useless out drive 
  • Options
    well as much as i appreciate your opinion,  i'm a "if it isn't broke, don't fix it kinda guy" that's a lot of gas to throw away on something that is working fine. if you had issues and replaced it, then completely understandable. i will pump the money into my re-power and fuel tank for now. if the drive presents i problem, i will address it then. i am not planning on selling this boat any time soon so i am not worried about some one wanting to buy it.
  • Options
    I understand your  position from past experience the XDP is not à good match to à 8.1.
    Happy to hear your XDP works fine
  • Options
    With that said though, if the re-power is too much for the xdp, I will not hesitate to pull the trigger to upgrade! I do appreciate everyone's input and opinions.