Aft Bilge Pump

DaveGDaveG Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I have a 2004 342 Rinker. The bilge pump under the aft cabin bed was bad so I replaced it. Is there a switch any where to manually turn that pump on or does it on work off float? The bilge pump in the engine compartment has a switch on the dash. That switch does not turn on aft bilge pump. This boat is new to me so I m trying to figure out the different systems.

Thanks

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My switch on the dash works the aft bilge along with a float switch. The engine bilge pump goes right to the battery
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    On mine the switch at the helm turns on both bilge pumps at the same time and each has their own float switch.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The switch on the dash should turn on both pumps, overriding the floats.  The pumps are wired to the batteries (circuit breaker is on the panel where your battery switches are by the transom door.

If you leave them running, you can burn them up though.  I got rid of the float on the one in the aft cabin and went with a pump that has one built in; I also moved it as far back as I could since I didn't like the amount of water it would leave back there.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    On mine the switch at the helm turns on both bilge pumps at the same time and each has their own float switch.
    Isn't this the krux of the design flaw since the aft pump typically runs dry when the engine pump is manually turned on to remove water?  
    Seems like it would be better to have a separate switch or make the aft pump float actuated only.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're flipping the switch for 30 seconds to run the engine room pump, you won't hurt the mid-cabin pump.  Rinker uses Rule pumps, and Rule says its pumps "can be run dry for up to 2 hours."  
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Where abouts is the mid-cabin bilge pump?  I noticed standing water under the cabinet in the head when I pulled out the old fridge.  Guessing I have a bad pump.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

On the 342, mid-blige pump is under the center opening in tha aft cabin (remove the cushions). 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you replaced the pump there was a black (positive to braker)and brown(+ to switch).test power with test light to be sure.I always flip the manual floats before I leave for the week just to hear them come on.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    @Stodge:  I had water back there too. Was from a leaking shower sump line to the thru hull. PITA to replace, just did it for time #2. This time better tube the whole length. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    On the 342, mid-blige pump is under the center opening in tha aft cabin (remove the cushions). 
    I assume that is the opening toward the aft since the opening in the middle toward the bow has carpet.

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep - if you remove the cushions from the aft there is an opening just below the storage compartment facing aft where you can see a bilge and a pump. You can hand activate the float to make sure it works. We had just a little bit of water there most of last summer when I would check it but we had some shower sump pump overflow issues which I have since resolved (exit hose blockage) and when winterizing I found that a plastic hose fitting at the a/c pump had a very slow water drip which would have ended up in that bilge too. Fitting was replaced a few weeks ago. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• mikejudd65mikejudd65 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    has anyone considered fabricating covers for the mid-/aft-cabin bilge and shower sump areas? Maybe a material like starboard with some Velcro? Not sure how I feel about bilge fumes, moisture, etc seeping up through the cushions. :-( 
    "Next Adventure" 2004 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 , FWC Horizon Mercs, Blue Imron Hull
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Why are you getting that much water in there?  There really shouldn't be any...mine is dry except if I have to burb the AC thru-hull.  I suppose some people have the AC condensation hose running there, but still that should be pretty minimal.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Mine has a cover?
    We got some thin plastic cutting boards and place them over the openings below the cushions more for the odor.  It's damp in there and makes the mid-berth a little musty.

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @Dude_Himself - Agreed...mine has a cover made out of starboard I think.  It's not "sealed" by any means, but a cover nonetheless.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • jtumpisjtumpis Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what type of (replacement) bilge pump I need for a 2007 342 Rinker Express Cruiser? We forgot to take specs while at the boat :( Thank you for any links or details!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rinker use's Rule brand, and it is a good pump. 500 gpm ? not sure, that would be a minimum 
    Boat Name : 

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭