Options

Thermostat

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
Hi, 
Just out of curiosity how often (hours,or years )do you replace thermostat as part of regular maintenance.
Thanks
Paul

Comments

• Options
    Forgot boat in fresh water
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I'm on my 9th season with my 320 and have never replaced the thermostat..... I've done the IAC valves, Caps, Rotors, Plugs and Wires but that's about it.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where have you been Frodo?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much depends on where they need made. The ones from the USA should be good for 10 years, Mexico less and the far eastrvn Les. Is it errtic or dhoeig signs of corrosion?
  • Options
    I did not take it apart , for now everything is ok, I was only starting to make a list of parts for next spring and was not sure about ordering new thermostat . The engines have only about 350 hrs so far, so from I read I will keep them for now.
    thanks
    Paul
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    mine got a rock or chunk of something jammed in it 3 years ago, its stuck open. The temp gauge gets to about 120 so I dont think I will change it. I know I should fix it, but every time I do, I end up with another rock stuck in it. I also know that its from beaching the boat while the engine is running. I have yet to master pulling on a beach or off the beach with the engine off.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in my humble opinion, this isn't a part that is replaced on a schedule- it is a part that is replaced when it fails.  three out of five are bad out of the box anymore, and either don't open, don't close, open too soon or too late... finding one that does what it's supposed to do is a crap shoot, and it doesn't matter how much you spend- the $5 one is as good or bad as the $20 one... 

if yours is working and within parameters, keep it until it doesn't anymore. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Do what we used to do put it in a pot of boiling water with a thermostat to check it's reading. Low tech but accurate. LOL
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Thanks,everybody.
    Paul