Options

Charging batteries

OrsonOrson Member Posts: 1

Good day, I recently purchased a 2002 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee. The batteries seemed to have died after not properly connecting shore power. I do have a battery charger toggle switch on my panel. How do you use this switch? Does it have to be plugged into shore power and what battery do I set the battery switch to, 1, 2 or both?

Thanks for the help.

Answers

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    You have two panels, or at least two sides of the same panel.  Everything on one side requires shore power (30A), the switches on the other side are all 12V or battery operated.  The battery charger requires shore power or generator power in order to charge the batteries.  It shouldn't matter what position the switch is in to charge the batteries.
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Navy nailed the answer.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    JOllishJOllish Member Posts: 2
    When at the slip I am plugged into shore power with the Shore power main turned ON and the battery charger breaker in the ON position.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think it matters what position your battery switch is in because the charger should be connected directly to the batteries.  I generally Turn my Battery switch to the OFF position just out of habit, but I also dont leave anything on in the boat like the refrigerator either. 
    Jason
    P.T.O. Required - 2004 270 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Orson, Did you know your refrigerator will auto switch to DC if not on shore power and run battrie's down so turn off refrigerator. See if that helps.
    And welcome
    @JOllish welcome to the forum
    Boat Name :