Options

Gremlins

RocketmanRocketman Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
I am having a series of electrical issues and hope you could help. Boat is 2008 rinker 330. Television will not turn on when on shore power or on batteries. Read light comes on and turns off. When we flush the toilet it shuts down the entire electrical system. It's like a breaker trips and then it resets and lights come back on. Also when running the generator can't run the microwave and stove at the sometime again the breaker trips. The cabin lights have all been switched to led. Please help with suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Has this been an ongoing issue or something new? I remember reading on rbo that others have had simular issues with the toilet. I think the issue was that the gauge of wire was to small on the tv and basically the power drain from the flush shut everything down...
    Does anyone remember that rbo thread?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was exatly what was said on the "old" RBO. I have a new 2013 Rinker 310 and I have to say the wires to the T.V.s are a huge gauge (I'm thinking 10 or smaller) and the wires to the toilet seem oversized too - so Rinker must be listening. So far, knock on wood, I have not had the fluctuating power issues that appeared on some of the older Rinkers wherein voltage dipped low enough to shut-off electrical equipment. The good news is that the wiring to the toilet and T.V.s on many of the Rinkers I have seen is relatively easy to access and replace, with a good electrician's fish line. 
  • Options
    RocketmanRocketman Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    This issue has been going on since new. I spoke to randy rinker and he said wire gauge was correct on my boat. I was at boat again tonight. Running only the kitchen tap filling the sink and the entire electrical system shut down again. Counted to 10 and lights came back on. Please help me.
  • Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Maybe some loose gound connections. Could e very difficult to find. Wish I had some better suggestions. I can only imagine the frustrations you've gone through with this boat.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

If it is repeatable, as it seems to be, I would have a good marine electrician who has all the electrical diagnostic tools have a look.

It sounds like a problem with a root cause and I am sure you will not be happy until it is discovered and fixed.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DC is very vulnerable to bad grounds and it can cause a mess. Start with your ground block and battery connections. Undersized wiring can also be an issue (toilet) causing a voltage drop.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm betting connections. Get a marine elec tech with a meter. He should be able to isolate the cause pretty fast. Sounds like a loose wire or ground. Maybe even a poorly crimped wire. On my new EC310 the blender didn't work. We pulled the fridge to look. It had not been connected at all. While in there the tech (I was watching) replaced some crimped connectiuons that were clearly loose. The meter is great as it shows partial voltages which is also a huge clue. Good luck!