Has anyone used Diablo Royal lights on there 270 fiesta Vee or similar? Which light? Pics?

jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
I am looking at adding some underwater lights under my swim platform. I did some research and this company seems to have very well made stuff and very good light output. I contacted them and the suggested for my boat I used the Vega . Knowing how deep our transom plug do you think this will work?

http://boatpluglight.com/products/the-vega-off-shore-series-prd-8000-lumens

Answers

• MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I looked at these lights but couldn't find any reviews.  The concern with so much power is dissipation of the heat that is generated.  High temperature operation can accelerate failure.  

There are at least two other considerations.  The light will be not only deep but behind the outdrive in our single engine applications.   These light will draw about 11 Amps.  Without a generator you will need to monitor how long you use them when on the hook.

This thread shows the AGPtek drain plug light (1800 lumens) at 4 inch depth.  Remember that light absorption is logarithmic not linear so 4 times the lumens with not provide 4 times the penetration.

https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5615/ocean-led-underwater-light-installation-total-disappointment#latest

If your boat is on a trailer or lift?  I might have another option for you.  Let me know.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same concerns as @MDboater, with a HUGE concern about the amperage. IMO an 11 amp draw would be a deal breaker....and a battery breaker. Ocean LED twin 2400 lumen lights (total 4800 lumens) draw about 2 amps. That's TWO amps! 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,456 admin
    11 amps to much current. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    To be clear, 11 amps is my calculation.  The web page doesn't provide current but it does advertise the product as 133 Watts. 
    edited August 2016
    Well, at least  it's an easy calculation using watts, amps, and voltage! If I rember correctly ..amps equals
    watts/volts
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Break out the drill. You will be much happier with the result. I think coastal night lights is the best value out there. And they get fantastic reviews. I put three on my boat and it is super bright. I'm sitting under anchor now. Let's see if I can't get a decent picture. 
    A picture is worth....
    You might see some critters crawling. 

Beautiful! .... sent all the way from Estero Beach Florida!
    good to see that you are still enjoying the evening hours by the water MT!  Even though where you spectate from does not float. 
    edited August 2016
    Hah...good one. Your comment was a lot more accurate than you may have thought!!!! We leave tomorrow - I hope - as Invest 99 , a not yet named tropical depression,  heads for the Gulf Coast. Sunny today until about 4:30 then all h*ll broke loose for about 2 hours. Torrential rain and non-stop lightening. Hoping for better weather for the flight out! Your picture was awesome!

Estero beach area is great. I was down in Naples not to far from u last week. Albeit on business so not having nearly as much fun as u likely are. 
    We had a great time, first time on this Coast. Unfortunately I didn't manage to meet Steve, although he graciously offered! In  less than two weeks we"ll be in Aruba..... no hurricanes there as it:s outside the hurricane belt....love that place.......there shouldn't be any in Palm Springs in November when we're there either! It's amazing the free time you find when you aren't washing,  waxing and winterizing! Still miss it though! LOL
    Sounds nice!  I look toward to retiring someday in the not so distant future.  Maybe 17 more years if it goes to plan. 
    This family is looking forward to February as we head to St John. The plan is to rent a cat for a few days and explore the BVIs. Can't wait!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    We had a great time, first time on this Coast. Unfortunately I didn't manage to meet Steve, although he graciously offered! In  less than two weeks we"ll be in Aruba..... no hurricanes there as it:s outside the hurricane belt....love that place.......there shouldn't be any in Palm Springs in November when we're there either! It's amazing the free time you find when you aren't washing,  waxing and winterizing! Still miss it though! LOL
    Here is the truth: MT never told me he was here until he was. I invited him to dinner to meet him and the admirals. He totally disrespected us and never even responded. So good bye MT! I thought we were all a Rinker family! Oh well. 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awe Handy, didn't know you were so sensitive, kinda brings a tear to your eye.  :'(
    Boat Name : 

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,456 admin
    MDboater said:
    To be clear, 11 amps is my calculation.  The web page doesn't provide current but it does advertise the product as 133 Watts. 
    Your calculation is correct. IMO 11 amps is way to much of a draw on your batteries. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Even my triple series 31 AGMs properly wired would not like an 11 amp draw....nasty....and unnecessary as many underwater light rigs do not need anywhere that amperage!
  • jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    maybe thats the difference between bright and not bright though.
    @jmichaels, shouldn't be. If the LED light manufacturer is reputable and their LEDs are binned for quality and measured by agreed standards to determine the lumen output the amperage is more dependent on the pcbs than anything else. Ocean LED, SeaBlaze and many, many other brands have high lumen output with low amperage.