Options

Retrofit to DTS on a Rinker 400??

Is it possible to retrofit to DTS? I'm looking at an 08 400, has old Mercruiser throttles. 
Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Possible?  Yes, definitely.  You're probably looking at $3k or more, but I don't think it would be too difficult to install.  You'd need some help from Mercury to make sure you get the right kit.  
  • Options
    taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I was wondering if anyone had done it??
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Not sure if it's been done, but I've seen the parts are all available.  My 08 400 has the DTS if you needed any pics.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Been looking at a couple boats with DTS recently (310) and I have added it to my "must have" list. Such a great addition. Wish I would of known about it before I pulled the trigger on my 280 last year. Wonder how hard it is to retrofit?
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    You can always send Mercury an email with your engine serials and they will be able to tell you straight up. Link is below!

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/contact/mercruiser-customer-assistance
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    To answer your question, I don't recall hearing of anyone on this site doing a retrofit.  

This DTS configurator will give you a good idea of what you'd need:

https://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/dts/configurator.html

But that's an old page.  The real answer is to just call Mercury.  They can tell you exactly what you need.
  • Options
    BTW I think DTS is one of the things I love the most about my boat.  I've driven boats where I had to sit down to get enough leverage to shift into gear.  Now, I can shift with literally one finger.  
  • Options
    @LaRea thats exactly what I love about it. Its effortless but also the idea of no shift cables to maintain/replace and pressing a button to shift just the thought makes me happy haha. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I love the DTS as well.  jme, you may not have the long shift cables to replace, but there ends up being more items in the engine room that could need replaced.  Still, the DTS is great!  What's even better is the admiral can manage driving without having those hard to manage shifters!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I emailed Mercury yesterday and David in CS said they do not offer a kit to retrofit DTS into a boat. I am sure someone has done it but sounds like it could be pretty pricey. Probably easier just to make sure my next boat has it lol