Options

2 hours from home and a big storm is coming in.

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
What is the best method for riding out a storm at anchor near beach?  Any tips or preparations? We will be inside a break wall but that's it.  Unfortunately no dock space for transients available due to powerboat races.  I am not expecting it to be too bad but 30mph winds on Erie can be well quite Erie at times!
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    biggest anchor you've got.. 
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    I was out in Fairport Harbor but now I am back at the house.  It looks like we missed the worst of that storm.  I hope you did, but if that's where you were (or are) there is a nice anchorage spot right at the mouth of the Grand River well within the breakwall  just east and south of the lighthouse.
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    We landed a spot at pickle bills.  Figure if I patronize bar and restaurant it is a fair trade off.  Looking forward to the races, glad the storm broke up.  Thanks for the suggestion by the way!
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    That's great, maybe see you out there on the lake.  Heading down to the dock shortly.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    If issue comes up again, best thing to do is to get in an area that waves will be blocked (sounds like you did) and get a good anchor set with a lot of rode out.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got stuck on the Allegheny River on Sunday less than a mile from my dock. The storm never moved. Best lightening show I have seen in years. A mile down river, the sun was out. Unfortunately I was unable to get pictures because I tossed my phone in the cabin so it wouldn't get wet. Crazy weather!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!