Options

I Hate This Guy

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, a car dealer in NJ buys a new Monterey 360SC pulls out the 8.2 Mags and adds Mercruiser Racing blown 502s. Top speed of the boat is 54 mph.....4 mph faster tham my former Rinker EC 360. Darn! Anyway, the Rinker is still  waaaay better looking! LOL!!!!!!
To add insult to injury he did his speed run on the Toms River. Article from this month's boating magazine.

Comments

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Ugh, blown 502's and only 54mph?  Sounds like his mechanic got revenge on the car dealer. 
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He must be one of MTs elitist rich friends
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    wow...i like that elitist rich friend
  • Options
    What is the fastest 342?
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Salt Shaker, of course!
  • Options
    Ok, why is a 400 with 8.1 faster than a 342 with 6.2? The props spin at the same speed
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Very, very fast calculation as I do not know the hull configuration and windage of a Monterey SC 360 - but for a "normal" hull about 25' and under it takes 12HP to generate 1 mph....... so this very big 360..... 18K+ pounds (dry) would take, in my opinion, in excess of 25 HP per engine to generate 1 mph......so 25X2X4 =200HP (minimum). Increasing HP above a hull's normally rated HP is expensive the bigger the hull gets.

The article did say that the modified SC360 did get 1mph at cruise which, if accurate, (and I would guess it is), indicates a very well matched hull to HP ratio.

Anyway, thought you guys would find that interesting.

I looked at putting Mercruiser 8.2 Magnum H.O.s into my 2014 Rinker EC 360 but did not as I did not think the cost was worth what I would get in return.  With 8.2 Magnums, I got 50 mph and awesome acceleration and could outrun any cruiser I came across yet still have great fuel economy (for a gasoline driven hull of that size and windage).

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    54 mph in a floating house. Sink, fridge,bathroom,tv,bed.  thats freaking amazing. I would not want to hit a wake at that speed, but wow Im impressed. No need to hate on him. 
  • Options
    edited August 2016

@youstolemybeer...true that Monterey SC 360 does look very robust boat and the guy who bought it is a "toys" guy who has many, many toys. At last count he owned three car dealerships and he seems to be a details guy who wouldn't do anything stupid. It was a special production so Monterey may have even reinforced the transom?

....and Steve, your comment is just plain dumb. I never resent a guy who has made money and buys a cool toy. That's how new and exciting things get made. I didn't see you trash Al or guys on the list who bought  his souped-up outboards.

Steve....don't resent anyone who has something cool or has done custom work to their toy. I don't call them "elitist rich" guys, just guys who can afford to do neat things and I salute their efforts.....but then again you're satisfied with a 342 diesel so that says a lot LOL!

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

my buddies 40' formula has everything on it and will run 52.  dam sexy boat

Post edited by raybo3 on
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    @redlightening.....is that a cruiser or a go fast? What does it have for engines 502 H.O.s? I know my 2014 EC 360 would outrun the new Formula cruiser 370s (PC 370?) pretty easily. They had 502 Mags in them too, but were heavier and slower hulls than the Rinker.
  • Options
    BTW the owner of the Monterey SC360 had his Axius joystick mounted on the port side of his helm for a better all round view.