Options

Gen 111 fuel filter

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
Hi,
I would need to replace both my fuel filter coming next spring. Looking at the parts manual  there is the big filter and another one at the bottom  Can the bottom one be cleaned instead of replaced they look like made of plastic...... They are only available from Mercruiser at 35.00$ US. each. So for Canadian boater they come quite expensive with our dollars at almost 30% more.
Thanks
Paul

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I replaced both filters for both coolers I'll see if the dealer still has that quote. BTW the first fuel filter was dirty after one year....maybe from manufacturing debris? Even with the expense, a good investment, imo.

• Options
    Michael,
    Do you remember if the lower filter was paper type or plastic screen?
    Thanks 
    Paul
  • Options
    Paul, I posted several pictures of it on the forum, maybe last Fall. I'll see if I can find the post or if I still have the pictures on an SD card. I don't want to say for sure until I see them as I don't want to pass you any bad info!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lower filter is a plastic screen. I believe got mine on Amazon last year.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Ok,
    thanks for the Infos 
    Paul
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I replaced both of mine this spring. I tried cleaning the lower plastic one but theres almost like a fabric insert in the middle of it that makes it impossible. Easier to replace. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Hi Al, I'm familiar with the two items (filter and screen) in the cool fuel module, but don't know what you mean when you say "the sst on the bulk wall". Is there another fuel filter I should have? Are you referring to an inline filter outside of the fuel pump module? I have a 2009 320 EC with 350 Mag MPI motors.

Bill

• Options
    I will  look again in my 2007 300 Express twin 5.0 MPI, but so far did not notice anything like that.
  • Options
    I don't think there was anything other than the two filters in my cool fuel units of my 2013 EC 310 with twin 350 mags or my 2014 EC 360 with twin 502 mags ...but those are newer engines.
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    Each year after I run the first tank of gas through, I replace the filter and plastic disk.  Better to be safe then sorry.
  • Options
    captpaulcaptpaul Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    just pulled out my whole cool fuel box as having performance issue with my port engine. oatmeal like crap inside it and flaked paint 1 fuel pump and regulator. filters were clean. had this with starboard engine several years ago and finally now the port side. $1200+ for new unit. long standing design flaw with mercury and still no support. hopefully it has not fouled injector system. 
  • Options
    Need to check on mine again this year,was ok last year no flake paint.Was wondering if I should remove them to remove all the paint on the inside before it happens........
    Anybody already did that?
  • Options
    does this filter go post cool fuel filter box?

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    The one Al has a picture of would go before the cool fuel filter, usually mounted on the wall.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Is that for twin engine set up? I definitely don't have an inline filter on my single. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Don't think I had one for my twins. Maybe @gtyee or @bry1429 will reply!
  • Options
    None in my 300 express twin 5.0 MPI.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 280 doesn't have the inline filter.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I know some guys added them for extra "safety" but my techs said NOT to do it with later model Mercruisers as you'd screw-up the fuel metering. In the case of my 2014 EC 360's cool fuel module IMO the two filters that I replaced should be plenty to protect your engine.
  • Options
    fuel rail and injectors pulled off for cleaning/replace as necessary. g*d d*mn ethanol in marine fuel is an expensive pain in the a*s. if only the boating lobby was as powerful as the corn lobby maybe we could get some ethanol free fuel here in the northeast
  • Options
    @captpaul 100% agreement with you. One of my pet peeves. I hate that cr*p. After all the trouble that junk creates we get about 20% less distance and available torque from it! ....and the use of huge amounts of water and fertilizer to grow the friggin' corn is a crime!
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    We trailer our 246 here in Iowa (Big Corn/Ethanol state - thank you Senator Grassley) so I always fill up with non ethanol Premium although I pay about +80 cents per gallon penalty for electing to NOT put that crap in my tank. I treat with Startron too, can't hurt.
  • Options
    @Glassguy54...100% agree....I used Startron too for same reasons as you! My province produces big corn too. ethanol plant not far from where I live!