Options

Mercruiser hi- performance gear oil

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
Hi,
Could that be a good replacement  for the Mercruiser hi- performance gear oil, my U.S. supplier now only sell the 2.5 gallons in package of two. Since I have a great discount with him I would like to buy from him., He also carries the oil below. Or any good suggestions.
Thanks 
Paul

HI-PERFORMANCE SYNTHETIC BLEND LOWER UNIT GEAR LUBE (#47-96505)

PRICE: $131.13

Part #: 47-96505

For shipping estimate:

Add to cart then visit your shopping cart to see shipping options and costs.

HI-PERFORMANCE SYNTHETIC BLEND LOWER UNIT GEAR LUBE

Reduces operating friction for increased performance and protection of gears, bearings, and other gear case components. Recommended for use in high performance and highload operating conditions in both outboard and I/O lower units. Sierra hi-performance gear lube has been designed to surpass the performance of the O.E. hi-performance gear lubricants. Sold in case packs only.

Comments

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't use sierra anything in my boat. For how little u need, why not just buy local?
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    For me, I only use the Mercruiser High Performance. It's not that expensive and I only change it once per year at the end of the season.  -Paul
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mechanic at my marina uses the Sierra gear oil shown above on all of his drive work. He lent me his pump and 5 gallon bucket this past spring and that is what I used. I will see how it looks in the fall when I pull for the winter.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Belleville,
    According to Al Sierra make good parts, as for the oil I don't know so I will use Mercruiser.
    here is the quotation from Al.

Sierra parts are very good high quality parts.  Yes, they have a warranty, usually longer than the OEM manufacturer.  Many items on a Marine engine are outsourced items,  Ie, the typical Stern drive engine is GM, sensors are outsourced from a supply from GM.  The bolt on items such as starters and alternators are supplied from many differant vendors. Merc or volve does not manufacture these items. most are from vendors.  Exhaust manifolds are unique.  I only use OEM manifolds as needed.  Gear case istems, OEM  However as for Bellows, Sierra has some of the best u joint and shift cable bellows in the field.    Sierra, now sea star has now acquirred Mallory Marine.  Again, many good parts.  Al

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have had some great and not great Sierra experiences. The ones I remember that were not great were with ignition parts for older style engines that had points, condensers etc. That was NOT a good experience for me. I'd agree with Al some parts fine, some not. As for me I've never taken a chance with lubricants. The only brands that I have used are Mercruiser (only Mercruiser while under Mercury warranty), Amsoil and Kendall Racing Oil.