Options

Transducer placement

Need a little bit of help on transducer placement.  I have a Raymarine A80350 CPT 120 bronze thru hull transducer.  It worked fine for several weeks (on Lake Barkley and Ohio River).  It now reads depth and down-vision/sonar at low RPM's but as soon as I get some speed it does not work.  I'm thinking it might be attached to the boat in the wrong area where it gets bubbles all around it at hi-speed or maybe it just got marine growth and that is causing it to malfunction.  Anybody have any ideas ?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is it now?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of speed are you talking about when it stops working?  And does it still track bottom, or not even that?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    BarryY, Mine actually stops working once enough slime, algae, and mussels cover it.  Scrub them off and it's fine.  Sounds like yours is a through-hull type, so it's location should be about 2 feet forward of the transom, and about a foot off the center line of the boat, generally on a level spot in the engine compartment.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry, mine also got more slime build up when I was at Barkley earlier this year in a month, more than 5 weeks in the river, Strange when at Lake Barkley for a month was worse,  I had pulled the boat out of the river after 5 weeks to clean up and do some maintenance. Had less scum on it. You would think the river was dirtier.
    Maybe you can jump in and clean it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    BarryYLouisvilleBarryYLouisville Member Posts: 10
    I bet cleaning fixes it.  It is about 4 feet up from the transom and maybe a foot or 8 inches off center.  It is a thru the hull transducer.  I wonder if 4 feet up from the transom is too far and it gets bubbles as I hit plane.  I'd say the speed it stops working (depth, downvision, and sonar is 20 mph).  I think cleaning it is a good idea.  (Will have to try to do this at anchor on Ohio - sounds tricky)