Possible new owner of a 2001 Rinker 340 Fiesta Vee

I have made an offer on a 2001 Rinker 340 Fiesta Vee and the survey is scheduled for this afternoon.  I've already had a compression and leak down test done on both engines and everything looked good.  I plan on being present during the survey and just wanted to get some input on any know issues of this particular year/model?  This is my first boat, so I am trying to make sure I do not buy a "problem" boat.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!!

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look for any interior water leaks and make sure to test every system. 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the engines/drives Mercruiser or Volvo? The answer to that might generate more advice. What condition do the drives "appear" to be in? Have the drives been pressure tested? Has a moisture content of the hull been assessed? What size are the engines 5.7 or 6.2? How many hours are on the engines? What condition are the anodes on the drives in? Do you have maintenance logs for the boat?
  • spalmer114spalmer114 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Are the engines/drives Mercruiser or Volvo? The answer to that might generate more advice. What condition do the drives "appear" to be in? Have the drives been pressure tested? Has a moisture content of the hull been assessed? What size are the engines 5.7 or 6.2? How many hours are on the engines? What condition are the anodes on the drives in? Do you have maintenance logs for the boat?
    It has twin 5.7 Mercuriser (377 hours) with Bravo 3's.  I was told by the shop supervisor, where the boat is currently sitting, that the drives were in great shape.  They did some minor work that was needed when they did their inspection. I should know the rest after the survey later today.  I will make sure to ask all of the questions you asked, while I am there today.  Thanks!
    Look for any interior water leaks and make sure to test every system. 
    Thanks for the advice, I will definitely be checking that with the surveyor later today!

Very good news that the drives are Mercruiser. 277 hours is a very reasonable number IF the boat was reasonably maintained. Good luck!

P.S. Does it have a bolt on swim platform. If yes, look at where the SS struts meet the hull and where the bolts are. What shape is that area in?

Michael T said:

Very good news that the drives are Mercruiser. 277 hours is a very reasonable number IF the boat was reasonably maintained. Good luck!

P.S. Does it have a bolt on swim platform. If yes, look at where the SS struts meet the hull and where the bolts are. What shape is that area in?

The survey went very good yesterday.  The surveyor could not find any real problems with the boat, in fact, he said of all the Rinker's he has surveyed over the last 15 years, this was probably the nicest one.  There are a few small issues that the broker needs to address, but nothing is a deal breaker.  The only thing that bothered me was the engine hours.  One tach read 377 hours and the other 540 hours, the broker was under the impression that the owner had left a key on by accident and ran up the hours on one engine, however when I had them hook it up to a computer, their are 495 actual hours on the motors.  It looks like they have been well maintained, but I am requesting past service records.  If everything goes good, we will do our sea trial and close on September 9th.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the Faria hour meters are notoriously unreliable.  If you turn on the key to listen to the radio, the hour meter starts running.  For a 15-year-old boat, 495 hours is just about perfect because it tells you the boat has been used regularly and not neglected.    

Good luck!
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    495 hours are fine. That is still low. Boat sounds great. Good luck and keep posted and welcome to the RBOC.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Yes and I only have 610 on the diesels and they won't even be broke in till 1000 hours!
    LaRea said:
    Yeah, the Faria hour meters are notoriously unreliable.  If you turn on the key to listen to the radio, the hour meter starts running.  For a 15-year-old boat, 495 hours is just about perfect because it tells you the boat has been used regularly and not neglected.    

Good luck!
    We could not get the radio to come on yesterday, so I asked the broker when we were leaving and he said for some reason you had to have a key on for the radio to come on.  There has got to be a way to rewire it so you don't show false hours on the tach to listen to music.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    @spalmer114 , there is another way.  You need to look at your Tachometer when you are listening to music, and if the little hour indicator is flashing (meter running), then tap on the tach until it is not.  Usually the tach will show some rpms as well.  It's the weird Faria gauge thing.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Have you tried to put the key switch to acc mode? This is a pretty easy fix. Look at the back of the ignition switch. If its 3 pole replace it with a 4 pole switch and just put the radio on acc. Or just hard wire it.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Yes, Ray using the new ignition module is a great idea. I bet that avoids energizing the fuel pump(s) while listening to the radio too!
  • NoahsArkNoahsArk Member Posts: 8
    I recently purchased a 1988 250 Vee for a very reasonable price and expected to put few thousand into it. 

I ended up servicing the motor and drive:  Oil change, gear oil change, outdrive seals, water seperator, throttle cables, motor alignment check, bellows, water pump & starter. 

To give you an idea, in Milwaukee, the price tag on that was around $4000.00.

David H - Milwaukee
    1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250
    1982 Ski Nautique 2001
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @spalmer114 - the problem is with the Faria tachs.  The hour meter is not supposed to accumulate hours unless the engine is actually running.  But some do, and it's intermittent.  

Lots of boat builders wire the stereo to the accessory position of the key.  I guess the theory is that you'll turn off the key when you leave, and the stereo won't drain the battery.  
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    What handy means is his diesels will be broken by 1000 hours or does he mean
    he will be broke with all the money he spent on diesel fuel by 1000 hours.
    Sea trial was completed today, from what I've been told it went great.  Unfortunately, I am out of state for a work trip and could not be there.  We close and take possession of the boat on Friday!  Should have a few good weekends left before I have it winterized for winter.
  • simcoesimcoe Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a 2001 340 fiesta vee last october. So far this year we have put over 100 hours on it. It had 330 hrs on it when we got it. Our main critisism is the shape of the vee berth for sleeping. Doesnt make sense. We enjoy the boat. It is our first as well.
    @spalmer114...Congratulations. I hope you get some great boating in before the weather turns!
    edited September 2016

Wrong post - sorry!

Post edited by Michael T on
    edited September 2016
    Okay, I'm officially senile..I read that 340 as a 310! I'll delete the post down! Maybe I should stay off the forum at midnight?
    Or stay off for a while!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I rewired the radio off the ACC side of the port engine to the spare ACC switch below on my 310  no keys needed, no false hour clocking. Mine are also out by around 90, the port being higher 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    I have been on every single Rinker 340 ever made     
    That's awesome!!  I'm thankful that someone with your experience participates on this forum!!
    Alswagg said:
    I have been on every single Rinker 340 ever made   Great boats.   Tell me, does the head have a solid non opening window, or a hinged type that opens?   I custom made many that were solid flush style.  This was a special request by some who did not like the angle of the Oem window which held water in the opening.  
    Except mine.
    Alswagg said:
    I have been on every single Rinker 340 ever made   Great boats.   Tell me, does the head have a solid non opening window, or a hinged type that opens?   I custom made many that were solid flush style.  This was a special request by some who did not like the angle of the Oem window which held water in the opening.  
    It has a hinged head window, I noticed yesterday that it was holding water.  Loved my first weekend on the boat!
    edited September 2016
    Why couldn't I put 2 power strokes in this boat?